Killifish wild in NZ?

Luke*

Hello, I was just thinking - because killifish can live in lower water temps, would there be any lakes/rivers in NZ they could be released in and survive? Would be nice to go down to your local picnic resort and take home a few potluck killies wouldn't it? :)

When Killies no longer become a Luxery Tropical Fish, or hard to obtain, then that thought may become appealing.

For now i suggest you not attempt this, nor anyone else, or fast lose your friendship status in the NZKA, i don't think many members would be too impressed to find out you'd been relesing killies into the wild.

I also imagine they would be pray for predatory fish.

Shae

I would imagine this would work in most waterways in the top half of NZ. Too cold in winter down here. There are plenty of other aquarium fishes living in the wild already - guppies, swords, platies etc. They lose their bright colours in the wild though.

What's so wrong with it? I think it would be neat to take a trip to the local river or lake and pick up a few pick and mix killies :P

Positives anyone? Killies eating mosquito fish? Seeings as they mainly eat live food I don't think they would have a lot of impact on the flora environment.

As far as I know the swordtail population is now extinct.

It was situated a very short distance up the Taupo-Napier Rd.

The temperature dropped dramaically when they did re-roading work and then subdivision.

There are no known wild populations as far as I know of platies.

But there is a thriving population of mollies, big sailfins.

But there is also a threat of subdivision in their area too, but I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

It is one place that I consider could quite easily blow, with a steaming parapet up above them.

They don't affect the trout or native species,cause they are cold water and the mollies couldn't survive a cold change.

The killies would be no match against the gambusia, moquito fish.

It is a killer.

I believe that some of our species of killies could survive in most nth island water ways.

But those species are very numbered.

I know of one KK that had them outside for several years in Wellington, in a rain-barrel.

Alan 104

lol I had forgoten about that Alan, but that species would not sevived in the wild as it's food requirments could not be met nor would the eggs be able to hatch due to incorrect inviromental conditions.

As for releasing exotic fish killies or other in to our rivers and lake is not a responsable thing to do.

Hi all

It would be great to go getta pick n' mix selection on the weekend, instead of the usual Daphnia trip.

It was just a reflection of my 46 years in the hobby and I wouldnt like to see some unscrupulous person/s start the same tricks again.

It is hard enough now to get fish due to MAF (dont forget ERMA) policies and another spate of releases into ("TROPICAL") waters supportive of tropicals would certainly add more fish to the prohibited lists.

Enjoy the hobby as it is. :bow: