Growing Brine Shrimp

Doubie

They start life fueled by the energy stored in the eggs, but soon they must feed or perish. After the first week of life, they must move to a large container (plastic or glass—no metal) with a new water supply prepared using this formula:

4 liters of water

250 ml of rock salt

30 ml of Epsom salts

15 ml of baking soda

Food: For food, a pinch of baker's or brewer's yeast once a week should be fine. Mark the water level on the container. As water evaporates, add more tap water—not salt water—to keep the salt concentration the same. Put the container near a window or under a light during the day and watch the brine shrimp grow.

This is taken from off the web, from an educational site.

Alan 104

Good point Monaro1. I have seen them about 5mm long before and recall from my long distant youth, that they used to be sold as 'sea monkeys' in the comic books.

Couldn't tell you about the nutritional value to be fair, but a colleague of mine from work who keeps seahorses does not think they have a lot. Just looking for something a little different to feed the fish.....

Cheers

I've found when I sieve out the bbs into a bucket ifI leave the water in the bucket I end up with it swarming with full grown brine shrimp after a month. That's without feeding or anything.:) But I'm sure you'd get better results feeding them.

Hi Ya

Hope your holidays are going well. More than happy to give you some breeding brine shrimp next time we catch up (either work or club meeting). I can also give you some salt so that you can just set them up in a bucket outside and let them go. Should take a couple of weeks to get settled but with some sun and good weather they will be breeding in no time.

Have a good holiday and will catch up when you get back to work

Cheers

Alisha

Hi Shiuh

I had the same differculty when i started. I did all the right things with the air stones and correct water, but i found that all mine were dying around the three day mark as well. ( or so i thought) i got so mad i left the container outside to fill up with rainwater so i could try some daphnia. Had a look after a month and had a huge amount of Brine Shrimp. Moral of the story is to have some patience. Set it up and leave it for two or three weeks and then see what happens

Good luck

Hi Shiuh

I had the same differculty when i started. I did all the right things with the air stones and correct water, but i found that all mine were dying around the three day mark as well. ( or so i thought) i got so mad i left the container outside to fill up with rainwater so i could try some daphnia. Had a look after a month and had a huge amount of Brine Shrimp. Moral of the story is to have some patience. Set it up and leave it for two or three weeks and then see what happens

Good luck

Hi seahorsemad,

thanks for the tips. by rainwater, do you mean freshwater with no added seasalt at all?cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that adult brine shrimp can actually be quite nutritious, (well after being enriched that is). They need at least 4 hours in the enrichment mixture though, as they digest slower than the baby ones.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... invert.htm

Is a comparison for many common foods, given from a marine feeding point of view, but may be of interest - especially about "hobby grade" brine shrimp being the worst of all. :o