Amazon Tank

freshwest

hey all,

Just a little thing you could do, with your tank aswell, and it looks good.

Is to place Blue Neon Strips around the Outside of your tank so when your watching TV at night with the light off you can have the Lights around the tank on aswell. Most Auto Shops have them for a reasonable price and they can be attached to a small trasformer to pluginto the wall.

I seen this in a display at a LFS and it looks amazing. especially with the Discus.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 4. The maiden fill went with out a hitch. No creeks or groans which was a relief.

Here are few pics of the progress so far this week.

aquarium063.jpg

adb71256.jpg

As you can see the aquascapes are glued in place and the gravel is in.

aquarium054.jpg

Will post some details of the plumbing and lighting later in the week.

Warren you stated that table top etc should have no more than 0.5mm out of square to plain. Timber tops will never conform to this as the standard is 0.3mm either side of aim sizes as standard and timber can also move upto 4% depending on mositure content. This could be what is best but does it happen. How flat are all our tops, mine included. I allways thougth a bit of poly goes a long way. What is the use/recommendations to use thicker poly for bigger tanks about? Just asking not saying anyones wrong.

Quick up date. M/H lights up and running. Working on the sump today should have it all up and running by tonight.

Plumbing turned out to be a bigger job than planed and as for the price of fitting don’t get me started

If everything goes to plan I should get some plants in over the weekend. Pics to come.

Everything is up and running and working well. The only problem I have is water clarity. It seems the JBL aquamix is causing the problem. I put a good layer of gravel over it so it should clear in time.

Im on the look out for floating plants. With 800watts of M/H light the tank is very bright. I plan to use some floating plants over the middle surface area to give some shade for my discus. The plant that comes to mind is Ceratopteris thalictroides (indian fern,water sprite) if anyone has some they would like to sell let me know. I will post a plant list of other plants Im on the lookout for in private trade and exchange.

I'd wait until the leafy plants are well established. Once Echinodorus osiris is well established and the stem plants take off there will be plenty of shade for them. If you put floating plants into the tank you will be forever removing them as they grow like crazy under MH. It took me 2 years to get rid of some Duckweed I accidentally introduced with a new plant and I was only using fluro's then. Many floating plants will completely cover the surface in 1 week. Duckweed used to take about 1 week to go from nothing to complete coverage cause I'd missed a bit. Eventually I got the whole lot and now it's gone.

Nice work Warren, I had the same problem which I eventually (manually) rid myself of in my 4 ft tank. Are the M/Hs pendants? How many are there? There's a product you can buy from LFS which actually does work called magic clear, that might help your cloudy water problem.

I think Riccia is by far the best floating plant. Many people use it for carpeting, as well. I had some create a nice carpet on a heater guard, was great until a double dose of Flourish Excel killed it off. If you want some, you're welcome to it. Easy as to scoop out as it grows into mats if there's not too much surface agitation. I've recovered completely from losing nearly all of it in the move, so there's enough to spare. Can TrackPak a bundle overnight for $3.50 and it's some expensive stuff on TradeMe, ask Mrskz ;)

Thanks for the offers of floating plants everyone . I have decided to heed Warrens and Lukes advise and wait a few weeks and see how the other plants develop.

I drained the tank yesterday and added an extra layer of gravel which seems to have stopped the aquamix from leeching out . :D

Did a run into Auck and brought some plants will add some more today .

Heres some pics of the progress so far.

aquarium084.jpg

Everything is up and running. Got the co2 in yesterday. Have started to think about a background. At this stage Im thinking of using 10 mm poly painted black.

What backgrounds colours are people using out there?

Maybe a lighter colour would crate more depth?

Penny for your thoughts.

we get the plant tank backing and stick it on with the back of it to the tank so its just black.looks realy good as makes the tank look deep and not over crowded.and unlike using fabric or stuf like that its not big deal if it get a bit of water splashed on it and its thick so u cant see through it ect

• 3 weeks later...

Looking Good Fresh.

Are your discus in here? Should be a heap of room for a pair to spawn?

The other trouble you will have with the floating plants is they will end up in your sump or always up against the overflow until they end up in the sump.

Got any pics of the plumbing? Is your overflow quiet?

Sorry for the lack of up dates. Been a testing few weeks.

I ran into a major problem with blue green algae, which required a dose of erythromycin to clear it up.

I would have gone with the black out method but decided it may have been to hard on new plants.

Any way the erythromycin has done the job. The challenge now is to get the water parameters right so it doesn’t come back.

As for fish I have called in a crack squad of SAEs to fight the algae battle. They have done a great job on the thread algae shame they don’t eat b/g.

I don’t plan to put any discus in until the water conditions are stable and the plants are bigger so there is cover and shade for them.

The plants are really starting to pump now they are getting their roots into the JBL aquamix. I still have a bit of fine-tuning with the fertiliser dosing.

Heres some pics of the tank and plumbing

aquarium083.jpg

aquarium076.jpg

aquarium075.jpg

aquarium070.jpg