Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Skimmer test , Beckett

Featured Replies

lol.. So Brian it seems that the skimmer is going to your expectations or better than you though??? still abit early to tell yet i suppose, have you come across any think that you wish was abit different or layout wise???

  • Replies 194
  • Views 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are the teething issues, but i think most of those have worked them selves out.

it was a very frustrating two days though. :D

my space is a bit limited thats really the only thing i might have changed (but that would mean a bigger tank :wink: )

cant get a really good feel yet for the end product or skimming capacity but for only two days its going well

Well going by that skimmer pic it seems you got a really good mix of air & water in there! Just eyeballing the skimmer against the size of the tank it looks like it should certainly keep it well skimmed, and aerated.

yip thats the plan.

u could see straight away that there was moe than enough air getting into the skimmer. i currently have the air set to about 1/3rd of the potential, this will probably increase to about half from the feedback that robin has given me. also the gate valve comes into play to adjust the water level.

got a nice surprise when i read the box that the resun came in, it only draws 65w at 50hz or was it 55w oh well the moral of the story is that it was less than the 100w i was expecting

Well 65 watts is pretty good, that was my main argument against venturi skimmers, the additional power consumption.

Not sure what the wattage would be for a comparable Deltec but there can't be too much in it.

I have never understood that 'large pump' argument against venturi skimmers. I mean I have 600w of lights going, who cares if I have to use a 100w pump to drive my skimmer instead of a 50w pump. And as the tank grows the proportion would stay the same, like pies tank has some 3000w of light, would 200-300w extra to drive a skimmer really make that much difference?

Well now my power bill is around $450.00 a month, I'm interested in saving wherever I can, when that tank power calculator came out I realised around 1/2 my bill is for the tanks.

It's OK for the rich, but I'm not one of those.

So, I'm closing my frag system, and doing a new main tank, a big part of the emphasis will be on economy of electricity.

But you're right suphew, lighting is the major power consumer.

However I really don't want a big debate over it. it's just a matter of opinion really, however for me, I'm now looking at power consumption at each step of the tank set up, and going with the best option each time. I'm not even having a sump, to save running a return.

Be nice to live somewhere sunny where you could put in a big skylight, maybe some mylar film to help reflect sunlight and suddenly FREE LIGHTING!:)

Of course, wouldn't work with the weather we've been having lately....

Actually now I think about it, my lights go 8 hours per day, but my skimmer 24. So a 100 watt skimmer does equal 300 watts light.

well people should think about theses things before starting up moneys no good when you are dead so spend up me happy life is to sort to bitch about :o

Wonder world rotorua has been selling its marines like hot cakes.They have only got the normal left overs now but the coral display tank is finaly going and looking on track to be winner.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.