Skimmer test , Beckett

reef

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are the teething issues, but i think most of those have worked them selves out.

it was a very frustrating two days though. :D

my space is a bit limited thats really the only thing i might have changed (but that would mean a bigger tank :wink: )

cant get a really good feel yet for the end product or skimming capacity but for only two days its going well

yip thats the plan.

u could see straight away that there was moe than enough air getting into the skimmer. i currently have the air set to about 1/3rd of the potential, this will probably increase to about half from the feedback that robin has given me. also the gate valve comes into play to adjust the water level.

got a nice surprise when i read the box that the resun came in, it only draws 65w at 50hz or was it 55w oh well the moral of the story is that it was less than the 100w i was expecting

I have never understood that 'large pump' argument against venturi skimmers. I mean I have 600w of lights going, who cares if I have to use a 100w pump to drive my skimmer instead of a 50w pump. And as the tank grows the proportion would stay the same, like pies tank has some 3000w of light, would 200-300w extra to drive a skimmer really make that much difference?

Well now my power bill is around $450.00 a month, I'm interested in saving wherever I can, when that tank power calculator came out I realised around 1/2 my bill is for the tanks.

It's OK for the rich, but I'm not one of those.

So, I'm closing my frag system, and doing a new main tank, a big part of the emphasis will be on economy of electricity.

But you're right suphew, lighting is the major power consumer.

However I really don't want a big debate over it. it's just a matter of opinion really, however for me, I'm now looking at power consumption at each step of the tank set up, and going with the best option each time. I'm not even having a sump, to save running a return.