Sand in a Tropical Freshwater Aquarium for plants

iisfaq

I cam across this site with great pictures of a planted aquarium. The guy used 3 bags of sand when he started and the results are impressive. He did use other stuff as well such as a home made Co2 device.

http://www.nature-aquarium.com/tank.htm

My question is what sort of sand can I use? His sand looks like you could use it for a concrete path.

Chris

We use Daltons Propogating sand in ours, can be attained from most garden centres.

B

Hi Ballistic

Do you do anything special with the sand? Like clean it?

Do you add any type of fertilizer below the sand? Is your sand on top of stones or directly on the tank bottom?

Cheers

Chris

Heya Chris,

We (Ballistic and I) use it on its own. We clean it off lots before we use it.

In one tank, I have juss layered it ontop of the stones/pebbles that were already in the tank.

Its great stuff!

I have also juss used beach sand, picked out all the weed etc, washed it, and chucked it into the tank.

I like sand better than gravel! :bounce:

I have done a bit of phoning around and found a local supplier of the Daltons products.

They were out of stock but have ordered some in for me.

A couple of days and I should get it.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

You guys have any probs with PH rising while using sand?? ... I use a normal gravel cleaner for the sand base in the marine tanks ...but always have the syphom hose half crimped ( with my hand) to slow down the flow rate ....( helps when you get a sand clog to cut off flow then just bang the tube against tank to loosen sand).... this method is useful when going deep into the sand bed to airate the lower regions ...( leaving sum areas undisturbed is good for the anerobic bacteria to "denitrify" the system too..).... :o

by the way still think these guys are cool ===> :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ... go the bouncing pea's ... :lol: 8)

I am in Christchurch also and use sand for growing plant. I get mine from the nursary next to the pet shop on the corner of Smith Street and Ferry Road. Get a kitchen seive and run it through. Wash the gravel carefully. Place the sand in the tank along with plant suppliment from pet shop next door and put washed gravel on top to keep silt down. Only siphon off excess mulm as it is food for plants. Plenty of light and away you go. Good luck.

Hey Mystic I've striped down my 3 footer adding malawi mbuna cichlids and want to use sand instead or ontop of the gravel that's there (haven't removed it just yet otherwise tank's empty) what do ya recon? will the mbuna's reak havic w/the sand? I'm opting for the "small peacefull" one's mined you.

ty,

Me

• 1 month later...

i just thought i would give this post a boost for everyone else. It is neat to know that there is an alternative to gravel for your freshwater aquariums.

I thought it would be neat to try some sand in one of our tanks and then felt really dopey when it got a lovely layer of crud on the top! Like caper mentioned earlier in this post, about siphoning i wasn't sure how to go about it and worried about sucking all my sand up in one water change! Now reading this post i have it sussed!!

All,

Just the topic I am looking for...

I was picking up some plant a while back and recall a tank that apparently had 'silica sand' as the base medium - apparently the plants love this. Anyone have any experience with this? Can you let me know where I might get some in Auckland (Waitakere City would be good) and any known effect on pH? Looking at establishing a 4 ft Jebo mainly discus tank this weekend.

Thoughts/feedback appreciated. :hail:

Cheers

Doubie

Cheers monaro1. Looks like a trip there on the weekend is in order! :D

This is what I ended up with for my tank.

Substrate_12Nov2005.jpg

The plants do appear to love it and the fish also since the sand is quite small compared to stones.

It is also visually very nice.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that looks cool as but I have a question and hopefully its not to much of a no brainer :roll: but when you do a partial water change and use the gravel cleaner well how do you go about cleaning the gravel if its sitting on top of the sand and aquatic mix and not sucking the bottom to layers out.