I Need the REAL names of these fish for the MAF list , Help

Billaney

JoandWilly said

Last two are metraclima estherae and Pseudotropheus crabro.... but yeah they change names all the time so they could be both mayandia, different websites say different things and i dont have any books to get the actual scientific name

when filling out the form you must put the correct name and all other known scientific names.

for e.g I have filled out a form for Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, this is it's correct name, however it is also known as Aphyosemion sjoestedti.

the form has both names on it.

you may need to do a google search http://www.google.com/custom?q=&sa=Goog ... itesearch= on the different names, I think Metraclima estherae is now Pseudotropheus estherae. you will have to check.

well i know you can trust everything you can find on the internet but as far as i can tell alot of things started off as pseudotropheus and then split up and some went to maylandia and that split up and some went to metraclima... the estherae and crabro both fall under this as far as i can tell.

There still are some pseudotropheus, but compared to some of the older books there are hardly any compared to what there was 20 years ago. It would be so much easier if once they named the damn fish it would stay with the same name.

The reason they change the names on fishes is that they often just call a fish by a name of something similar when first discovered, eg;pseudotropheus...currently there are about 200 species a year being discovered, its up to the scientists to argue over later, when they get to examine a fish they notice differences, eg; scales, teeth...from there they get re-classified.

Another thing is in the older days there weren't as many species, Alot of Tangy's were Neoloamprologus, Malawis were Haplochromis.....

as for the fish in the pics,

1) I think Aaln is right. Hard to tell with rainbows

2) Astatotilapia brownae, formely known as Haplochromis

3) Copadichromis azureus, the sciaenochromis are more slender

4) Metriaclima callainos, cobalt blue

5) Maylandia Estherae, red zebra

6) Maylandia Crabro, bumlebee cichlid

Hope this helps.

Frenchy :D

Yeah justin your right

definatly not a Elec Blue

I would have to agree bout the azureus

The Sciaenochromis Fyeri has a very pointy head not rounded like the protomelas,copadichromis family

also the first one is a type of rainbow very very similiar the one alan was referring to

good to see everyone jumping in and helping out

Brad

Hi

Thanks for all the help , three done and three checked and agreed with :)

but i need an ISBN referance for these three as i can't find them in my books

2) Astatotilapia brownae,

3) Copadichromis azureus

6) Maylandia Crabro, bumlebee cichlid

Thanks again

Astatotilapia brownae

Baensch Aquarium Atlas 3

ISBN 1-56465-185-1

page 694

Copadichromis azureus

Baensch Aquarium Atlas 3

ISBN 1-56465-185-1

page 778

Maylandia crabro (under Pseudotropheus)

Baensch Aquarium Atlas 3

ISBN 1-56465-185-1

page 852

The ones I have here are 1994 so will not have the latest name changes but it is the same fish, which is what counts! :wink:

They are great books but very expensive. The only reason I have them is they belong to the FNZAS and I use them as references when I do articles for the Aquarium World magazine.

About the only perk for being editor is the large selection of reference books I have here 8)

Astatotilapia brownae

Baensch Aquarium Atlas 3

ISBN 1-56465-185-1

page 694

Copadichromis azureus

Baensch Aquarium Atlas 3

ISBN 1-56465-185-1

page 778

Maylandia crabro (under Pseudotropheus)

Baensch Aquarium Atlas 3

ISBN 1-56465-185-1

page 852

Caryl what a star !! :bow::bow:

Thank you All very much :)

Just popped in to see Brad. Same numbers. His #3 is 1996. I don't own any of these, I just read brad's. :lol: Yes good Aquarium books are pricey, :-? I have a few good books, which I picked up at cost price when managing lfs.

Good team effort by everyone.

I have had a couple of pm's from people asking about pics of fish. I don't think it would work as I'm in Aussie, what are the rules?

Frenchy :D