Drowning houseplants

Shilo

Aquarium plants are impossible to get here so to stock my tank with as much and as quickly as possible, I've been raiding the local garden centers for marsh plants. So far I've got Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Ophiopogon japonicus (Mondo grass - I know, it will probably die off).

But my latest score has left me gob smacked. I was talking to a local gardening guru on the phone at work and asked him if he had any aquarium plants. He offered me Lysimachia nummularia aurea (Golden Moneywort). This is all Latin to me, so I said sure and gave a driver $10 to pay for it. When I got it I read the label: Suitable for rockeries, embankments and well drained areas!!!! Not exactly a aquarium plant. :-?

But after some web research I found out it is great for the aquarium

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?320&user_plants=91

The gold colouring is fantastic against the dark Java Fern and it only cost $10 for a bunch 50cm in diameter :D

Are there any other types of house plants apart from Baby Tears that will grow in the aquarium and not slowly die off like Peace Lilly’s?

Cheers

Shilo

I haven't tried it myself as all the babies tears I have bought have been emersed already. They grow straight up underwater.

I assume you would have to carefully take it out of its pot and remove the surrounding soil from the roots before putting it in the tank.

Anyone else done this?

Haven't been able to find Baby Tears here on the Island, but the other plants listed above came fully potted in potting mix. The Moneywort would be similar to BT's. I removed the bag, shook of any loose soil then split the plants up under a running hose. I then rinsed each small bunch in a bucket and removed as much soil as possible. They came out surprisingly clean. I didn't skimp on the rinsing because I was worried they may have been sprayed in the garden center. A trim and tidy up then straight into the tank.

It has only been a few days but the Moneywort is doing fine. Some of the leaves are dying off but there is new growth showing to replace them. The plants have straightened up and heading for the surface. I would assume Baby Tears would react the same way.

Cheers

Shilo

• 2 months later...

The plants have been in the tank for a couple of months now, so for anybody who wants to take this option and save money then its time for an update:

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis Covering the gravel nicely. I had originally split the mass of plants into 6 sections and planted. These sections never took off, so I uprooted 4 of them and teased out the roots as much as I could without beaking it all up into 1000 pieces. I then dug a big hole, popped a section in and poured gravel over the top to hold it in place. There are now runners going in all directions and the plant is spreading rapidly. The 2 unteased sections have not spread. The new leaves are smaller and narrower then when it was emerged.

Ophiopogon japonicus (Mondo grass) All three plants had started to slowly die off. One completely rotted away. Off the remaining 2 one has now sprouted 6 healthy new leaves and the other has produced a runner which has a new plantlet growing at a fast rate. The original plant is neither growing or dying off. I had added a Jobes Palm & Fern stick under them which I think made the difference.

Lysimachia nummularia aurea (Golden Moneywort) In this case it was to much of a good thing. I ended up throwing 3/4 of it away since I wanted more variety in the tank. Over the 2 months the plant has changed. I has lost its old leaves and replaced them with new ones about 1/4 the size. These new leaves are a nice light green and not the golden colour of the original plant. I actually prefer the light green as it catches the light and "glows" It is a steady grower but algae’s easily. In the tank the plant will grow straight up.

Bacopa monniera (Babies Tears) If there was ever a monster in the tank this would be it! It wants to take control and I have to trim it every few days to teach it who's boss. Like the moneywort it grows straight up when submerged but has kept the same leaf shape. When it reaches the surface it starts to grow horizontally with vertical stalks coming off it. It grows with equal ease in full light or shade. Good as a background "wall" in the tank.

Ludwigia Unsure what sort but it is a red leaved variety. Picked up at the pond section of Palmers. It also grows straight up when submerged. Algae’s very easy and if shaded will have green leaves. In bright light, CO2 and fertilizers it has bright pink leaves and grows at a good rate. In the month I've had it I have already trimmed it twice and replanted the cuttings. A beautiful plant that is probably the highlight of the tank.

For somebody starting a planted tank I recommend taking a look at the local garden center. The plants available are normally in a much better condition and you get a lot more for your $. You also don't have to worry about introducing snails or disease to the tank. Just make sure you wash out all the dirt from the roots and don't be surprised if it changes into a different form or colour. Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks for the update Grant.

I like the new photos on your web site. What are the dimensons of the tank you have?

Your plant growth looks good. I'm getting married in a couple of months and the tank that I have must be moved, :(:( . It has taken me about 3 months to get it in the state that it is in and starting from scratch is not something I am looking forward to!

All the best

Blueram

I've been trying to use the babies tears as a ground cover.... I let it grow up them bend the runnners back and pin them to the bottom.... its taken a while so far, but four months down the track I'm starting to get it looking right.... I trim back real hard when an area is done and it produces lots of little leaves instead of the larger ones.......

• 3 months later...

What about the houseplant that I only know of as the spider plant?? Y'all know the one... it sort of looks like a bromeliad that dried out, with a skinny center-bit, dark green out edges of leaves (spear shaped) and a creamy inner line????

I've got one growing in a pot in the bathrrom, and it has sent out a baby, so I thought I could possibly cut that off, and shove it in my tank? :lol: