To hot to handle

raeh1

What is to hot for a marine aquarium?

Last summer before livstock was added my tank hit 32 degrees.

Now I have shrimps, coral, clam, and fish.

What are your guys opinions as to too hot?

How mush heat would a good fan take out. or do I need a chiller.

Our house is a sun magnet in summer.

Cheers.

Also issues with plumbing in a chiller as I don't have a sump.

On a similar thread on Reef Central 30 degrees (85 fareinheight) was considered the point where things will suffer and eventually die. All the different species have different tolerances though.

I'd say Brians 29 should be the maximum you allow.

Before spending megabucks on a chiller, try some fans. Now is the time, before summer, set them up, run them, and see how much they can drop the temp in your tank. I have mine on a timer, that in the summer comes on at 2.00 pm, which is when the tank room starts getting warm. The chiller is an emergency backup and rarely comes on.

Hey guys whats too hot for a cold marine tank? I dont think I can afford a chiller, I was just wondering if its a necessity. I would love dogmatix's one but I'm very short of cash at the mo.

Also what is the difference between a chiller and a conditioner?

Also what is the difference between a chiller and a conditioner

chiller chills the tank but if the room is hot it has to work overtime ($)

aircon cools the room which seems to cost less then chilling a tank plus you are nice and cool, tank will sit at ambient room temp. (25-26 deg.).

only draw back a good aircon cost more to buy then a chiller.

When I say conditioner, I mean, on a site I was trying to compare the teco ca 200 and it implied that there were two types of cooling,

the teco ra 200 is classed as a chiller, and the teco ca 200 is classed as a conditioner, it might possibly be that a conditioner has a heater aswell, not just a chiller, but im not sure.

Anyone know what the max temp for a cold tank should be?

Anyone know what the max temp for a cold tank should be?

Probably 20-21. Check local stats. Will be higher up north and colder doen south.

my tank hit 32 last summer. Corals looked sad and the tank did not look right.

All I did was open my tank hood, removed two small lids and placed a small warehouse fan ($13 I think) blowing across the water surface. Dropped the temp to 27-28 and evaporated truckloads of water. I left the fan going day and night that way there was no chance of me forgeting to turn it on. I would go for a fan over frozen bottles.

Two years ago mine used to hit 32 on some summer days and every summer my Pavona used to partially bleach, pretty much on cue with the first such event (and then spend the rest of the year recovering for the arrival of the next summer).

After briefly trying a DIY heat exchanger based cooling system, which worked but was a plumbers nightmare, I added 4 fans to blow across between the lights and the water. Last summer, with the fans in operation, the highest it got to was about 28. The fans operate automatically from the heater controller.

This summer the tank is down in the, theoretically cooler, basement and only has two fans blowing across it. However, I have also installed two extractor fans and a fanless duct to allow air to be sucked/pushed into the room from a shaded windward location under a deck. Just this last addition dropped the room temperature (as noticed when I arrive home from work) by a good 2 deg.

Steve

Well today te tank was at 26 degrees at 11.00 am

I bought a $10 fan from the warehouse. (Actually 2 one for tank, one for me). Uses 17 watts of power, so small and cheap to run.

Within 30 minutes the tank has returned to 25 degrees.

Will look into an automatic topper upper though.

And will monitor the tank over the next two months.

I am looking into a doser unit so that may have a dual purpose.

Ie water changes, at same time as water is begining removed. Meaning no pre-heating (surf to tank from cold) at 1 gallon an hour or something like that.