loaches and snails

genus specificus

Anyone help me here,I have a well planted tank that I now have a problem with small snails,im considering introducing a Clown loach to control the snails rather than revert to a poison such as snail/rid etc,however this tank in question is also a Guppy breeding,infant raising tank,My question is if I introduce a Clown loach to this tank,is it also likely to eat new born guppys,or is it safe to introduce having snail iradication in mind.

Seems like a stupid question,yet as youll im sure understand,an extremely important one to know the Correct answer to when you dont know.

Secondly,can anyone suggest any other good ways to rid my tank of snails without adverse affects to either infantile fish or plants???

Many thanks to anyone who helps. :-?

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Pakastani loach (silver and black) who did a great job munching the snails. He was never a problem with the other fish, it was the angels I had to get rid of - so much for the name, they are the baby killers from hell!

Cheers

I treated all the plant for snails before I put it in the tank (at double strength) and I think I have been blessed with 3 different types of snails. I bought a large clown loach and have never seen it eat a snail yet (it may when I am not looking, but I still have plenty of snails. I also am reluctant to use chemicals so I bought one of Mikefish's snail traps off trademe and it caught 24 on the first day---My turles love them. Works for me.

A piece of lettuce on a string, a lead weight, and patience.

Your snail problem will disappear (almost) over week.

Leave overnight, remove snail covered lettuce carefully next morning, dip into a cupful of salt water.

Replace the bait into the tank, when the lettuce needs replacing, do the obvious.

Works for me, environmentally friendly, no more extra fish that could endanger the inhabitants.

Kewl.

Alan 104