Got skimmate?

Brianemone

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a BK300.

The best skimmer in terms of quality, but performance does not match the quality .

It is tricky to adjust and taken me some time to learn to us the thing.

BK are making changes to it by reducing the amount of water and air going into the skimmer as it is way overpowered.

Still waiting for my new part, been over a 6 months and still waiting. the new impeller will slow down the motor so hopefully it will skim better.

Once adjusted it is not a bad skimmer but out of price range for 99% of hobbyist, and people think Deltec is expensive. at least the Deltec is plug and play.

My Deltec ap1003 is still the best skimmer i have seen. going to be hard to beat.

So will see what the new BK impeller will do to the skimmer performance.

My Aquaconnect is going real well with the new titanium impeller :D

not trying to judge the skimmer by the skimmate as much as i'am judging the skimmate, the whole wet/dry/dark/light thing is what im trying to sortout.

because i might be BB obviously i should skim wet but how wet is the ideal wetness?

where does skimming become inefficient where does it peak etc....

A skimmer should skim a nice dark skim, if a skimmer skims wet then it is taking out to much water

A skimmer will just stop skimming when there is nothing to take out.

I can wet skim, but what is the point, I will just end up taking more water out of my tank and the waste will be less concentrated.

Skimmers that are not efficient seem to skim wet. That is what I see when I see the queens, via aqua etc, they all skim wet.

A skimmer will just stop skimming when there is nothing to take out.

I can wet skim, but what is the point, I will just end up taking more water out of my tank and the waste will be less concentrated.

Skimmers that are not efficient seem to skim wet. That is what I see when I see the queens, via aqua etc, they all skim wet.

I 100% completely agree.

Pie

so if skimming "wet" is of no advantage how come so many people have that idea.

one of the prerequisites of BB for most people is doing just that?

I quess someone thought it was a good idea so everyone else followed.

When you have used a mulitude of skimmers as i have you get to know what works well and what doesnt.

I quess because if you go BB the skimmer wont skim as much as the nutient level will be low and by wet skimming the thought is that you are skimming better.

I run many BB tanks and the skimmers still skim as much as a tank that has 1 inch of gravel as you still get dust, crap from the rock, feeding waste,fish waste and i still get algae .

Again I completely agree with Reef.

Wet skimming is possible on DelTec skimmers (and probably many others) by simply adjusting the height of the water in the skimmer. The higher the water level, the wetter and 'thiner' the skimate.

Not sure who started the whole 'wet vs. dry' phenonom, but its recent (12 months) and from what I can see completely meaningless.

If your skimate is watery, tweak the skimmer, why pull out good water?

NOTE: A few in Europe say to 'wet' skim as your skimmer doesn't get so messy and its easy to clean. I'd go along with that, seems reasonable.

I could pull out 5L of skimate a day if I wanted, it would just be a light tan/tea colour not the thick gunk I get now. Not sure why some would think its better, almost certainly nonsence.

Pie