Incadescent vs flourescent????

Caper

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum :oops: forgive me if I am not :o

My 10 gallon tank has 2 incadescent lights, when I was in Halifax a couple of months ago the guy in the pet store told me I could use those flourescent bulbs...I don't know what they are called, the are not shaped like a regular bulb...ah...more like 2 loops...oh my, not doing a very good job here of describing :oops:

Anyway, I forget what size he told me I could get. The only thing I know about the bulbs in it now is what is on the box SLi-Lighting Item #77723 15T10/CL-120V. I would like to replace them with flourescent.

If anyone can help me, even with my lame description I would appreciate it. Those incadescents get too hot.

The funny thing is when I got my 2nd tank with the flourescent, I didn't like the light at all...but now the incadescent looks too "yellow".

Yep fluro's are better, more light, cheaper to run, less heat. There are a number of type's, T8, T5, PC, etc. I wont describe each cause it gets complicated, but the all work just fine, just make sure you find out prices for replacement tubes before you buy cause you should replace them every 12 months or less and the costs can add up.

Yes Ira...that's the ones!

Put as big of one as can fit

I don't have to have it match? Oh, I am not good at this stuff :oops:

Okay, example...I have a 100 watt incadescent light bulb in a table lamp...if I wanted to replace it with one of those...how would I know the equivalent wattage. OR just do as you say, get the biggest one I can fit?

Thanks for the help everybody :bow::bow::bow:

Not sure what temp they are at, but the latest Bunnings letter-box-filler is advertising 5 of these (20w equals 100w) CF's for $9.99.

I remember when they first came out - around six years ago (???) and only Phillips were available, and they were $25 each. Damn being a new technology user can hurt sometimes....

now if only placemakers were in Canada

Not here :lol:

The initial cost of those bulbs is more expensive...but supposedly save in the long run...and I need to save!

Yes Caryl I think you are right...it says the equivalent on the box, if I were buying for a lamp. But considering I don't know the size of the ones in the tank...on the box 120V...does that mean anything as far as how many watts????

Yes Caryl I think you are right...it says the equivalent on the box, if I were buying for a lamp. But considering I don't know the size of the ones in the tank...on the box 120V...does that mean anything as far as how many watts????

Switch off the light that you want to replace and allow some time for it to cool.

Then remove the bulb and look on the glass head of the bulb and it will show the size.. like...

100w ... 120v

Which means it is a 100 Watt bulb running on 120 volts.

Thoughts before you buy:

Check the type of bulb fitting you have.

There are two types... one is the Edison Screw.. (as shown in Ira's pic above)... and the other is the Standard Bi Pin type.. (which has a small pin at either side of the metal bit on the bulb)

Wallmarts should have them... and all will have the equivelant to normal bulbs on them. :)

Note for others:

NZ Power is 240v AC.

Bill.

Hi Oscar,

IMO, there is no right answer to your question. It depends on your tank, and what you are trying to accomplish. Mine is quite heavily planted, I run quite hi levels of light for 12 hours per day. I have my lights running on two timers, Four tubes turn on at 10am, off at 10pm, and the other two tubes turn on at 1030am, off at 1030pm.

Some where between 8 and 12 hours is probably, a good place to start.

HTH..

John

• 3 weeks later...