Cover Glasses and Heat = *CRACK*

DubbieBoy

I have cracked two (6mm!) cover glasses due to the heat from my lighting setup (3 x 55W compact flouros, they run quite hot...) :o . The localised heat causes the glass to crack from the corner where I need to have a small space cut out to accommodate the filter tubes, this seems to overly weaken the glass causing it to split. I have tried 3mm clear acrylic but it quicky becomes very warped and no longer lies flat. The lamps don't lie directly on the glass surface but the reflectors do.

Other than increasing the distance between lights and covers, which I'll probably get around to doing if and whenever I get around to constructing a proper hood, any suggestions for how I might get around this?

Would 5 or 6 mm acrylic be as prone to warping under heat?

Would toughened/tempered/laminated glass cut the mustard?

Suggestions most welcome.

- Dubb.

Acrylic will go white after a while as well. Any of the stong type of glass would work but also cost heaps. Is there anyway you can mount a fan (like a small computer fan) near the end of the light fitting to get rid of some of the heat? You could also try glueing a small piece of plastic to the bottom of the reflector at each end, just to lift it a few mm of the glass.

Are you sure it is the heat thats breaking the glass? I have 500w of MH light on my tank and have never had problems with the glass, through I dont have a top, just glass braceing about 50mm round all the edges.

I've cracked a couple lids with the heat from my lights too. I think a fan like Suphew says is probably your best bet. Also if you have the corner cut off might help to try and smooth it off with a bit of sandpaper or something, get it nice and rounded and that will help keep cracks from having a place to start.