September 5, 200521 yr comment_63601 I've set up the tank on my deck again and I plan to use it for a school of Tiger Barbs. They were going to be the only fish in there but now I'm wondering whether some bristlenoses will be ok with them. If I can catch him, I might also add my yoyo loach because he's starting to get a bit aggro in the community tank. Any comments? Suggestions? Words of warning? Cheers Jude Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63607 Is the tank going to be heated as i would be worried about temp fot the b/nose and yo-yo if it's not. They should get on ok but you never can tell with fish of course, one will be fine and the other can be a s#^t head LOL Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63612 Good luck getting the yo-yos out. They're sneaky little buggers that don't like being caught unless you remove everything from the tank and then you'll STILL be looking for them hiding somewhere Report
September 6, 200521 yr Author comment_63613 Yes its heated, and the deck is covered. I had the tanks set up there last summer and everything thrived. Moved the fish indoors over winter to save on heating costs Cheers Jude Report
September 6, 200521 yr Author comment_63616 LOL Blue, thats exactly what's worrying me. Maybe I should devise a yoyo trap - a bit like the ones I used to make as a kid. A cardboard box, a stick, and a bit of string - supposed to be great for catching birds. I spent hours and hours doing that and didn't catch a single bird :lol: :lol: :lol: I do plan to completely redo the tank at some stage so it might have to be then. Not looking forward to trying to catch everything in it though. Cheers Jude Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63624 LOL! Yeah, I have a feeling that isn't going to work... something about water density and rates of falling and speed of fish.... if you thought birds were hard, loaches are worse. I purchased a "bait trap" from the KMAC garage sale merchandise the other day. Will be modifying it to get it to work properly as they swim out in no time. In the meantime, we had a convo about catching loaches here. Report
September 6, 200521 yr Author comment_63644 Its a 3' tank so I was thinking of about 10. However I will start off with about 4 while I am cycling the tank. Yep, another BBQ sounds good but hopefully the day won't be as hot as last time. I don't think we could fit any more people under the tree :lol: :lol: Cheers jude Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63660 Hmmmm BBBBBBBBQQQQ Just after Xmas and before New years sounds good for me :roll: Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63669 Will there be Tiger Barb Kiwi chasers too? :roll: I like mine a little bigger than normal so don't hold back at feeding time :lol: Report
September 6, 200521 yr Author comment_63685 All depends Wok. Are you going to arrive early and bake the desserts for us? Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63687 Who needs to come early? As I said it only takes 35min from start to finish and the dishes are done too. 8) How many are coming though Report
September 6, 200521 yr Author comment_63694 LOL - Mystic the fish rescuer. What would we do without you to take all our unloved wee fishies? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes please, I'd love the barbs. I am probably going to get some today (who did you call impatient?) but the more the merrier. Cheers Jude Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63695 Right, back to the topic. The tiger barbs should be fine with the BNs but sometimes they can get a bit nippy and you'll have to keep an eye out for that. Have you ever thought of snails? (yep, again) We had a couple fish that were MURDER on BN fins (and almost every other fish) so we hooked the tank up with some snails and they did a wicked job of keeping the it clean. Also, they don't die when there's a temp drop... Report
September 6, 200521 yr Author comment_63697 Good idea, thanks blue. Will give serious consideration to snails Cheers Jude Report
September 6, 200521 yr comment_63703 Jude... If your Bn get picked on, you can always send them on an extended vacation to Uncle Wok's place :roll: :lol: Report
September 19, 200521 yr comment_66128 My brother and I ( cool grammer) set up a out door pond one summer had neons , bristlenose , serpaes , and tiger barbs .. was about 2 ft deep so temp down bottom didn't drop too much at night ... nothing beats sitting around it having a beer watching the fish "shine" in natural sunlight .. esp the neons .. during winter put inunga and yabbies in there .. was cooool 8) Report
September 19, 200521 yr Author comment_66131 Cool idea but I can't see it working in Wellington temps. Last week I was wearing a tee shirt and today I am considering digging out the thermals ........... :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers Jude Report
September 19, 200521 yr comment_66141 Man tell me about it .. we have 20 mins hail, thunder , monssonal rain, ... then 10min sunshine , then repeat hail etc ,.... bizzare .. try having a cig at work and timing around all this ... ... imagine your a fish in a shallow pond ... lucky they don't suffer " brass monkeys" Report
September 19, 200521 yr comment_66186 How lucky you are...summer...ours is just about over Can I come to the BBQ :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll just put my car in "F" for fly :lol: :lol: Report
September 20, 200521 yr comment_66219 I have about 9 Tiger Barbs, 8 Widow Tetras, 2 Female Bristlenose Catfish, 1 Royal Whiptail Catfish, 2 Black Ghost Knives, 8 Glass Bloodfins Tetras, 2 Upside down catfish, 3 Salmon Tail Catfish (about 6-7" each) and they all live happily ever after in my 4ft tank. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.