Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Worm...things

Featured Replies

Ok so I'm encouraging algae growth in my Golden Ancistrus tank to feed them for free. I've got a tonne of snails that've taken up residence as well, but also, more disturbingly, some little wriggly white worms. I plan on getting some copper sulfate (invertibrate killer) tomorrow and wiping them out, but just out of interest, anyone know what they are?

Worm.jpg

They tend to hang out on the algae on the glass from what I've seen.

  • Author

I've been going light on the water changes for the sake of the Golden Ancistrus babies in there, that's probably the cause I guess. Hope they enjoy their last day on earth - copper sulfate here I come :P

that copper sulfate will kill your snails too and pollute the tank with their dead bodies rotting.... and in doing so will effect your babies ... be careful :o

yeah I have had the same thing but with my camera I am totaly unable to get a good photo like you did of such tiny worms. I had it to a point where my whole tank glass was covered with these things normaly first thing in the morning but when more light came in they dissapeared down into the gravel. I know that I have some still in there but they are no were near the numbers they used to be.

I wouldn't wipe them out. Worms like this are part of the natural balance in aquatic systems and may actually help to keep your tank healthier. Unless you get huge numbers of them, I'd just look at reducing waste material in the tank.

hi dude

be real careful useing copper as even know you do a water change, you will never be able to use the tank for ie clown loaches some barbs.

i have seen it happen, even tanks that had been coppered years before

you put a clown loach in and over they go. those we worms are harmless

and as your little guys grow they will eat them.

clean your glass and do a normal waterchange.

there is a copper out there that is non toxic ie coppramin[ not how its spelt]. well they say its not toxic, so if you must give that a go.

cheers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.