Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Help :(

Featured Replies

Just setup the 4 footer! FUN! love the new canister filter, however my mate and I were trying to figure out how much was REALLY coming out, its supposed to be 1200L/ph however we measured about 750-900L/ph, everything seems fine, no air bubbles, no kinks in hosing and the o rings should be ok...weird

Also I dont think I cleaned some of the new gravel enough and after 12 hours the water is still rather cloudy, will this dust eventually disappear or be filtered away, or should I start all over again?

  • Replies 68
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never seem to get the flow stated on filters but have read that this is what the pump is rated at and having to push/pull water through filter will reduce this as well as height being pumped to. Leave the water as is it will settle and then y can do gravel syphone or put small sponge filter in tank just to clean it up.

As stated above about the filter. Plus you loose litres per hour with the height.

The cloudiness will disperse over time, gravel vac will take out remaining sediment over time.

The other thing the cloudiness could be is a bacterial bloom, this will clear as the bacteria levels grow in your filter.

When I set up a new tank, I cheat by incuding an old established filter or some gravel from an existing tank.

Try Geo Liquid, it helps bind particles in the water, its clay based too. Will rid the tank of cloudiness if you want to rid this quicker.

Frenchy :D

The LPH is the pump itself running with no restriction against 0 head through large hoses and in perfectly clean, ideal conditions...

filter rate,i get about the same.

cloudy water,this is a new tank,filter,pebbles the lot.

the setup needs to cycle,if your old filter is still running put it in your new tank as well,this will help(dont clean it)and try some CYCLE from your LFS

  • Author

I was told NOT to use cycle because of multiple reasons , I used it in my last tank and it seemed fine...any ideas?

check this anyway

http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firstta ... eria.phtml

http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/cycle.phtml

"I recommend against using a bacteria booster or any kind of chemical when cycling your tank. These tend to leave you with a less stable tank in the long run. A tank cycled slowly and carefully with a few fish will usually cycle in four to eight weeks. A tank cycled with a bacteria booster or chemical supplements will take between two days and eight months to cycle, usually completing the cycle at about eight weeks, and these tanks usually do not stabilize for about six months after the last treatment. Do not use these products if you want a stable, easy to care for tank.

If you are just thinking about getting your first aquarium, you might want to start with some simple steps to a successful aquarium."

I'm not a fan of bio boosters either.

As long as you have fish producing waste...you can add soiled filters,gravel....will speed up the process if there are nitrites there for the bacteria to grow.

Under optimal conditions, bacteria colonies can double in size every 15 hours.

Frenchy :D

YOU asked why your water was still cloudy in your NEW tank and NEW filter and NEW stones after 12hrs. Ans; BECAUSE IT WAS NEW

I SAID

PUT YOUR OLD FILTER IN THE TANK AS THIS WILL HELP

AND TRY CYCLE (as you seem to be in a hurry)

as for getting my first tank that was 30 years ago.

as for this moment in time i have 6 tanks up and runnlng.

1.5ft

2.5ft

3ft

4ft

5ft

6ft

have 2 more 1.5ft in the garage as spare and hospital.

i am building a stand at the moment so i can get my 8ft up and running.

this was your question,i only tried to help.

go with Ira .. canisters claim lph at head height , the higher the outlet the less they pump. the cloudy water is expected upon setting up a new tank .. water gushing over ( washed) gravel etc ... "bacterial bloom" :roll: .. don't think so .. to new ...

Just turn the lights off and don't worry about it until tomorrow.. you will be fine :wink:

Yep your right in saying to early to be bacterial bloom. I should of read his post at the start better. Have seen bacterial bloom nearly day dot before when people do the cheat(old filters, gravel...) & a heap of fish with a new tank.

Also a high level of dissolved constituents such as phosphates, silicates, or heavy metals will give cloudy water.

But all have pretty much the same solution.

Frenchy :D

  • Author

Awesome guys thanks for that, im aware that the tank usually goes cloudy when setup or cleaned, as ive had a tank for a few months now, however this is all new gear (some rocks and plants etc from old tank) and its STILL cloudy, I was only really concerned as I knew why it was cloudy (I didnt clean the gravel properly) and was wondering what i could do, heaps of good ideas.

Monaro, dont stress matey, i appr your input, thanks :) i just thought id bring up the topic of CYCLE as you had advised, and what i'd heard about it...was hoping for some more opinions as opposed to who asked what.

Just after info...

Thanks guys :D

Just to clear up one small thing, if the input and output of your cannister filter are in the same tank (i.e. at the same height) there will be no head height loss of LPH. Gravity is pushing the water down the input hose at the same rate as it is resisting the water coming up the output hose so it all equals out. The loss of LPH is caused by the resistance of the media, hoses, taps, bends etc.

Sorry suphew but your wrong... fully loaded canister flow at the levels stated by the manufacters ... but only at head height .. the impeller determines the flow rate( not downward gravity from intake) and can only pump so much water at a set rate , the higher it has to pump water the more heavier the water ( gravity/density/height).. hence less output .... hope this clears up some misunderstandings about canisters :D

excuse the spelling. :o

Klayman, he's not wrong, he's exactly right. We have to go over this almost monthly, there is NO HEAD if the outlet and inlet are both in the tank. If the outlet is above the water level of the tank then there is. The head height is NOT the distance from the pump sitting on the floor to the outlet. It's the difference in height from the source water level to the outlet's water level.

so your saying that a canister sitting in the basement ( 25 ft down ) will pump the same amount of water as a canister 2 ft below the tank as long as the intake and outake are level with each other ??? :-? hmmmm ..

Yes, or they're both in the water in the tank, regardless of the inlet and outlet's height within in the tank.

Except for restrictions in the hoses themselves, of course.

so if your on the tenth floor of an apartment , canister on ground floor , and all pipes are straight.. out/intakes are level .. it will work as if just under the tank?? :D

Yes.

Except you'd need really big hoses so the frictional losses don't become a factor and the water pressure of 100 something feet of water would likely blow out the o rings on the cannister. But as far as the static head goes. Yes, it will.

Well I'll be blown over by hurricane Katrina..... ya learn something new everyday ... get ready sky tower , we got a tank install deal for you !! 8)

Not that I'll ever have one...but would somebody mind posting a pic of what you are talking about, please :P

Hmmmm, I thought the canister filter draws the water out of the tank(not gravity) & then the pressure pushes the water up the outlet into the tank. I thought this pressure would be greater over a distance upwards, hence slowing the flow.

I would like for someone to show me how this is different. I mean this nicely, as I am keen to know one way or another.

The factory default set-up for these models require a distance between 3'3" to 3'11" from the water surface to the bottom of the filter. Should you require more height, then you must replace the standard adapter with the extra adapter provided in the top media basket upon purchase of the filter. After replacement, a maximum height of 5'4" can be achieved.

From Ehiem, reccomended distance from the bottom of filter, to top of tank, for proper function of filter 2227/2229.

Frenchy :D

The reason the recommended height is 3'3"-3'11" isn't because of increased head pressure pumping higher. It's because the hoses they supply with the filter are about 4 feet long.

I thought the canister filter draws the water out of the tank(not gravity) & then the pressure pushes the water up the outlet into the tank. I thought this pressure would be greater over a distance upwards, hence slowing the flow.

I would like for someone to show me how this is different. I mean this nicely, as I am keen to know one way or another

Can anyone answer this question for me. (quote)

Also,

Why do brands of canisters have max head height? :-?

Frenchy :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.