IMPORTANT - MAF review of allowed species

Rob

MAF are reviewing the list of fish species allowed for import into NZ. As part of this they are undertaking a survey of what's already here or has been here in the last 10 years (with a strong indication that this will form the basis of the new import list - if we can't prove that it is here or has been here then we may loose it).

More info can be found here: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fish_study/

The proof needs to be a signed photo, correctly identified (scientific names - not sure what this means for the L-numbers), with a book reference (including page number). You don't have to own the fish - it can be of fish in shops (in which case you'll have to get the shop to sign the photo as well).

We all enjoy the huge variety of catfish available - so we need to document the ones that we already have to make sure we can still get them.

Also does anyone have a copy of the Aqualog, All the L-numbers book (this may be the only reference available to us to use for some plecs).

If people need a book reference for non L-number catfish I should be able to help with Baensch Aquarium altas references (I've got the first 3 volumes plus the photo index of all 5 volumes)

We don't want to duplicate each others efforts so perhaps post here what you can get photos of.

I'll get photos for:

Corydoras axelrodi

C. barbatus

C. burgessi

C. caudimaculatus

C. elegans

C. melini

C. melanistius

C. nanus

C. napoensis

C. pygmeaus

C. robineae

C. schwartzi

C. similis

C. sodalis

C. sterbai

C. trilineatus

Dianema longibarbis

D. urostriata

Hoplosternum littorale

Agamyxis pectinifrons

Platydoras costatus

Panaque maccus

Loricaria sp. 'Columbia'

Peckoltia brevis

Chaetostoma thomsoni

Parotocinclus jumbo

Rineloricaria eigenmanni

Rineloricaria lanceolata

Kryptopterus minor

K. macrocephalus

Hi Stu - no my whiptails are banded (R.eigenmanni), crocodile (R. lanceolata) and columbian (Loricaria sp 'columbia').

If people are needing a book reference for their L-numbered plecs I suggest contacting Caserole or Modern Angl (you may want to use Planetcatfish.com as a common reference so that we all agree on what is being identified) and they can get back to you with book info (ISBN etc and a page number) - hope that's ok with you guys.

Also remember that it's not just catfish being reviewed - it's all ornamental fish so if there are other groups of fish you're passionate about sort out photos for them too. Stu - Kelly Rennell probably has a number of photos from previous NZKA meetings that may suit the purpose.

Another also - timespan is quite short - needs to be with MAF by mid-October

I have got photo's of a few L-number's....

L052 - Dekeyseria sp.

L104 - Panaque maccus

L129 - Hypancistrus sp.

L128 - Ancistrinae sp.

L144 - Ancistrus sp.

L260 - Hypancistrus sp.

LDA08 - Ancistrus claro

LDA31 - Panaque albomaculatus

I will try to get some photos of some others too.

Cheers, CatBrat.

@ Kribcrazy

Yes take pictures of your fish that aren't on the fish list. There's a 'recommended layout' available for download here: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fish_study/file_downloads/

It's a pdf file which makes inserting your electronic photo prior to printing difficult and also doesn't have a clearly marked space for the species name. So I'd probably create something similar in MS word that you could use as a template to insert the digital images into.

The photos need to be printouts, signed by the the photographer and the owner (may be one in the same but probably requires two signatures - don't want to get caught out on technicalities).

I'm still trying to find out what is meant by the location thing in the recommended layout.

A book reference also needs to be provided. The scientific name should be currently valid (but you should also list older synonym names if they are still often used when referring to the fish). A good place for checking on scientific names is www.fishbase.org as they list what is currently valid and also can display/(allow searching) by synonyms.

The printouts should be sent to one of the people listed in the 'letter to hobbyists' also available for download here: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fish_study/file_downloads/

My understanding is that the complete list (for download or as the seperate pages at http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fish_study/ ) is a list of every species of aquarium fish in the entire world (including stuff that is not allowed into NZ at the moment) and that we have no photos for any of them - Warren may want to correct me on that though.

I know that I've been emphasising weird and wonderful catfish but we need photos of all the fish we keep - so that includes neons, cardinals, tiger barbs etc (please don't assume that because it's a common fish that someone will already have given a photo for it).

Perhaps this should go somewhere at the top of this forum. Seems important.

I've made the "Letter to New Zealand Hobbyists" into a webpage for easy reading.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/letter/

Here is my understanding of what you all have to do for each species of fish you own.

1) check the species list pages here. Use the alphabetically ordered menu (by scientific name). E.g. for guppies I would go to http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fish_study/genus_p/ (Poecilia reticulata).

If the species has been marked as done you don't need to go further.

But, if the species hasn't been marked as done .....

2) Take a (good) photo of your fish.

3) Print the photo, either black/white or color (preferred).

4) Write the scientific name of the fish on the photo. Write the date on the photo. Sign it and if you are not the owner of the fish (eg you took the photo at a petshop) get the owner to sign it as well.

5) Download the Fish identification form From Here

6) Print the form

7) attach the photo to the form, enter all required details including a reference to a fishbook or www.fishbase.org for identification

Don't forget to write the scientific name on the form as well

8 ) Send the form+photo and an electronic copy of the photo (on disc/cd/dvd) to one of the three people mentioned here