Golden Bristlenose Spawn

HummingBird

I was doing the water change my 2ft that has my Golden Bristlenose in it when I noticed the resin castle in it was a bit dirty, so I took it out to clean it. I flipped it upside down to make sure there weren't any stoways in it and sure enough there was the male, then he moved a bit and I noticed the wad of eggs he was guarding :) Of course I immediately shoved it back into the tank.

A little while later I noticed a little baby sucking its way around the castle, not sure if this is one that's already hatched or if it's from another spawn, because it's fairly big (How big are they when they hatch?) anyways, here's a pic I got of it:

BabyBristle1.jpgBabyBristle2.jpg

:D

Awesome, is that the two you got off me?

they are about 5 days old if they dont have any egg sacs, when they first lose their egg sacs they are about 10mm long, this one looks a little bit bigger than that so could be a few weeks old, they will probably spawn every 3 weeks or so, hope you have some spare tank space : -)>

There's four in the tank that I got off you, three females and one male I think. Sounds definately like that other one's from a previous spawn then, can't believe I missed that. The other B/N won't eat the fry will they? The only fish in the tank apart from them is an African Butterfly fish, and he sticks to the surface almost all the time.

Oops four LOL Brain goes into rest mode Frday night and doesn't restart till Monday morning.

They should be safe with the other fish, make sure there is planty of food in there as they don't seem to like to travel to far to find it, i now have 3 containers in my tank and it's working quite well, and a couple of bits of courgette of course.

The fry seemed to love shrimp pellets but make sure they are in a container with reasonably high sides 50-60mm or it will make a mess in your substrate.

Glad to hear you have a female :D

Yeah I've got a slice of cucumber (the courgette I had was rotten :-?) right outside the castle and another halfway down the tank, there's also a ton of algae on the glass because the tank's near a window, I was going to clean it off today when I was doing the water change but when I saw the fry I decided not to.

I'm almost 100% that he/she is the only survivor of the first spawn, took a good long look around the tank and it was the only one I could see.

Cool, definetly leave the algae, i give my GBA tank 2 hrs more light than the others to try and promote alage growth as it seems to be their prefered food and they grow way faster.

I put 3 GBA in my guppy tank (now nearly guppyless tank as i'm reminded constantly by that cheeky bu@#er Niloc) about 3 weeks ago and they are growing nearly twice as quick as my GBA tank, i have been feeding them ummm... nothing, but there was quite a bit of algae in there and they are constantly munching on it. The rocks that had a good coating of algae are now bare in places but they seem to be loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, i recognize that filter, it's an Eheim of course, only the best for the lil goldies LOL

You will find that some algae they will eat and some you may still have to clean off manually.

Any idea how many fry you have?

Hardest part is getting the fry to eat, you almost have to put the food right in front of their noses.

LOL, i recognize that filter, it's an Eheim of course, only the best for the lil goldies LOL

You will find that some algae they will eat and some you may still have to clean off manually.

Any idea how many fry you have?

Hardest part is getting the fry to eat, you almost have to put the food right in front of their noses.

The tank looks positively coated in the stuff, how close to their nose does it need to be? :P

Pearlyred, what i was trying to say was i doubt if they will eat that algae, there are many different types of algae and some the GBA will eat and some they wont.

I had food in 3 places in a 3ft tank and have it in 5 places now as about 15 of 70 odd GBA wern't eating.

Have they been eating any of that type of algae Hummingbird?

Hard to tell if they are or not, but I'd say they probably are. The area directly around the castle (the favourite hiding place for three of them and where the eggs were laid) has noticably less algae than other less-frequented areas. Most of the tank isn't as bad as the filter though, I think it just bears the brunt of it because it's closer to the light.

Castle1.jpg

Tank1.jpgTank2.jpg

No idea how many fry there are this time, really hard to count em with them scooting under driftwood and into hiding places. 7+ though, more than the last spawn of two :)

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up loosing the ones from the first and second spawns, I think they just didn't get enough food, even though there were two pieces of courgette and usually some sort of pleco tab too in there at all times. I've captured most of the fry from their most recent spawn and put them in a breeding trap (thanks for the great idea Billaney :)) So I can shove food in their faces 24/7. Here're some pics

BRIS1.jpg

BRIS2.jpg

BRIS4.jpg

Here's hoping things go better with these guys :-?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I went away over new years and left my dad in charge of my tanks, came back to all my golden b/n's dead except two females :-? not sure what he did, he used to keep tropical fish so he's fairly knowledgable, but it was kind of a bummer to come home to.

Real bummer sorry for your loss :(