Automatic feeders

kbird

I used to have three of them but they all left home .............. ooops, sorry, they were automatic eaters!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about the feeders but I would be interested in any replies because I've thought about them myself from time to time

Cheers

Judy

Personally, I think feeding the fish is one of the things I enjoy most about having them. That, and breeding them. If you need an auto-feeder, then you're just too busy or lazy to do the rest of the maintenance, probably. As far as going on vacation and needing to feed your fish.... I think many people get a little nervous about leaving the tanks unattended for a week but the fish will be fine. You'll have a cleaner tank than ever, too!

I have used the auto feeders when working away from home and they worked well, only problem I had was condensation causing the food to clump up, ended up putting a bead of silcone around the joint to seal it, just leaving the outlet.

always used a low dose of food, just enough to keep them going, just to make sure no left over food in tank.

Mark

I too prefer to leave them without food as I don't trust the auto feeders but others have used them successfully. Jo uses them I believe in her rental set-ups.

I assume you just want to use them for a short period while you are away? Otherwise, feeding time is when you should check the fish for signs of illness or bullying. Making sure all are well and accounted for and all are getting a fair share of the food.

I use an autofeeder.

Several reasons. firstly it is better (so i hear), to feed several times with small amounts rather than 1 large feed per day.

Secondly also from reading commments on the web.. your fish like regularity.

and thirdly, often i am out at night so the only way to acomplish all three things is to use an auto feeder.

And finally an observation... after introducing the Auto feeder, the fish seem more "relaxed", not as much of a frenzy at feeding time inparticular the two sharks dont seem to get spooked.

John

4 or 5 days in a row might be OK unless your trying to have kribs breeding in a community tank. I havn't had experience with this - be interested to hear from someone who has. I'd say it make it very hard work for ma and pa krib to fend of some very hungry fishies after 5 days. :o

As some of you may know we operate a rental aquarium company and it has been our experience that human nature is such that our clients are too generous with food which causes us a lot more maintenance. So practically all the tanks we operate have auto feeders and the client also has spiralina, tubifex and frozen bloodworms (if they have a freezer at work). We give very specific instuctions on how often these are fed out and the fish thrive. Most feeders are Nutafin Promax which in general are fairly reliable. Eheim feeders are pretty good but more expensive.

Jo1 you must have the biggest "fishroom" running.

Have ppl to supply all the costs, (except the first setup), growing out tanks.

On the pretext of cleaning the tank, checking the fish out and taking the best away and replace them with smaller fish.

Almost forgot the plants, whew all those off cuts at $1 each, way-ta-go.

MMMMMMMMM

Wonder how that would go up here in the Bay??

Alan 104

HI

The automatic feeders work fine but experiment with theme fist before you leaf the house as mengent before they can get conensation and this wil lump the flakes togheter see wat is a good distans beween the tank and the feeder so you fish get fed but your feeder is not geting any condensation. smal granuals might be an idea they don't lump to geter as easely as flakes.

somthing els you can try and not as expensif are vakation feeders they cost aprox $5.- / $10.- and they can feed for 7 to 14 day. They slowly desolf and release the food in to your tank

scalare

LOL Alan. As most of the tanks are hexagonals (because that is what most people want in an office environment) the only offcuts are in the tropical tanks. We have to grow alot of blue hygrophila and ludwigia in the glasshouse and that has practically died off at this time of the year. You just can't get good lighting for hexagonals ie something that will penetrate down to at least 1 metre. You should definitely give it a go up there - I am sure there would be no competition. Try rest homes, doctors etc.