July 30, 200521 yr comment_58680 ok sorry for the corny subject line! there is no camera or action! just wondering about lights. i would like to bring the colors out in our fish more. a UV light would be reall cool BUT are there any side effects to the fish? also would a blue light (non uv) bring colors out any better or worse? we dont wanna give our fish cancer or anything! cheers Dodge Report
July 30, 200521 yr comment_58687 I hope I have read your post wrong because uv lights are very dangerous for your health let alone the fish. Report
July 30, 200521 yr comment_58691 A uv light would work great but you will have to batter them first LOL Seriously a uv light will kill your fish pretty quickly, imagine your self being under a tanning light for 12 hrs, uv lights kill germs which are living organisms so will do the same for your fish, a red or maybe a blue bulb would compliment a white light bringing out the colours. Report
July 30, 200521 yr Author comment_58733 oops :oops: well i thoguht if they have them in night clubs..... so a blue light would be better? Report
July 30, 200521 yr comment_58740 To start with Just add some MORE lights. Cool whites will be fine if yuo just want to see a bit more colour. But what colour gravel have you got?? IMO dark gravels bring out the colours more. At the very least it stops light being refelcted into your eyes and you get to see more of the fishes colours. HTH John Report
August 10, 200521 yr comment_59903 this post got me thinking... I have light gravel in my planted tank but would like dark. Not wanting to uproot everything just wondering if it would work to do a layer of dark over the light? Would that make a difference, I was thinking of putting it in a handful (scoop) at a time. Did that make sence or am I up too late. :oops: Report
August 10, 200521 yr comment_59906 Can't see a problem with that, it's how i would do it anyway LOL Report
August 11, 200521 yr comment_59984 Try an '840' cool white bulb. I get mine from Cory's Electrical. Brings the colour out great. Report
August 13, 200521 yr comment_60214 oops :oops: well i thoguht if they have them in night clubs..... so a blue light would be better? I think you are refering to black lights, they look purple but don't really emit light. But when they shine on certain colours they glow. Like the lights used to find invisible security inks. Report
August 13, 200521 yr comment_60215 True, has anyone fitted these on a freshwater tank? I know they use them on saltwater tanks (or something that does the same effect). I'd be keen to try a UV blacklight on my tank, just need some opinions on whether it's safe or not... Report
August 13, 200521 yr comment_60311 Wish I could add aother light to my 29 gallon tank. The one thing I like about the incadescent in my 10 gallon is that the entire tank is bright so no matter when my fishie are I can see them just fine, not so in the 29 g. My 29 gallon has the 1 florescent light, which took a little getting used to after the incadescents in the other tank. But, the only thing I don't like about it is if my fish are near the front (or not directly under the light) you don't see their colors like you do when they are right under the light Report
August 18, 200521 yr comment_61133 simple .. move the light unit to the front of the tank so that it shines back into the tank... plus add an actinic marine tube ( blue) ... late at night just have this on ( at the front too) your cardinals/neons glow like nothing before Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.