Guppy only diseases

Snowman

I don't know if this is of any help but while I was looking up pin-tail/needle-tail for my guppy fry (losing a heap each week) I also came across this..........

Guppy Disease

There is actually a disease caused by a protozoan that is more commonly seen in guppies than in any other fish. This is a tiny parasite that attacks the skin and may even reach as far as the muscles or bloodstream. They may get large enough to resemble ich and the scales may protrude, swimming is difficult and the skin usually falls off as well. If this is not taken care of quickly it can spread throughout the tank and be very difficult to control. Some treatments that should work are Malachite Green, Copper (try Aquarisol), and Formalin (use this with caution). Clout is a good name-brand remedy which should also take care of it. This disease should not occur in a clean, warm, guppy tank.

I got this from......

http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Parasites.html

Hope this helps anyone.

cheers

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like I could be losing all my guppies which totaly sucks as that means no more solid half blacks and I doubt that I will ever get any more as the new ones that the LFS is importing are very small and not very nice looking.

I have noticed about a week or so ago that a couple of them looked to have what I thought to be white spot so I put them into a solid container and hung it inside the tank to keep it heated. I don't have anything for white spot but have used melafix and malachite green. The first one looked like it had come right after 3-4 days so I put it back into the main tank. I then noticed 2 days later that two different fish were showing the same spots (would of been about 4-5 spots on the whole fish) so these two went through the same treatment. The following day one has very inflamed gills and it looked like its gills were hanging out from the inside. Later that day the fish was culled as it got worse and worse. The one left in there still has the spots though.

Now the rest of my tank have started to clamp their tails!!!! My water is fine, pH of 7 and not one trace of ammonia (only test kits I have) I done a 50% water change which only made a little bit of difference to the ones affected but today more and more seem to be doing the same thing. When I got pintail with my fry I was told to treat malachite green which seem to do the trick. Only prob is that it kills catfish so I have had to remove them to other tanks and I have reduced the water down to 2/3 and treated a half dose (will do other half later tonight) of malachite green. Is the Guppy Disease like this? I really don't want to lose my breeding stock. Not when I am right about to get my new tanks.

:(:(:(

I bought some imported show guppies in Christchurch fom a shop that also imports and lost the lot but managed to get about 100 babies which are all OK, and are now breeding. When I discussed this with the shop owner/importer they said the guppies are often treated with hormones and that recently they had seen "fresh water guppies" on the price list and had therefore started adding salt to new imports and had had less trouble. There may be too rapid a change from salt water to fresh. I was tough on mine and thought if the babies can't survive in my water so be it, and they are all doing well, without anything in the water but guppies.

I have heaps of fry but I only have about 2 that are showing a solid black colouring which is what I am wanting to breed. But I have decided that if I lose all my guppies and don't have any fry that colour up as nicely as I like then all the more reason to go to killies :D

I am currently treating the tank with malachite green so I will see how that goes for a week.

cheers

I have two types which have made it to adulthood. One is a metalic blue with a darker tail and some show a bit of red. The other is a metalic blue body with black tail and dorsal fin. I don't know a lot about guppy types so I hope this means something to someone. The black tail females have been with all the rest and I have put virgin blue females with a redish male. If their offspring are no good the turtles will love it.

Well this morning I noticed that some of them are no longer clamping their tails and are happily swimming about the tank. While others that have it are not worse than yesterday. I guess it will be time to bring out the grim reapers net and expell thoes that are showing the worse signs.

Sigh The pain we go through to get beautiful fish to then have to cull some of them.

:(