UNWANTED OR DAMAGED TURTLES

Graeme Holden

Recently acquired a couple of red ears, one very bad tempered male approx 5 yrs old (but cute), and one that has been attacked by a dog, recovered but missing some shell, and only just growing back claws, also has chunks of tail missing, got the bug, so quite happy to take oversize or anti red ears, and if I cannot learn how to rehabilitate or fix them, I know the turtle rescue service locally and am happy to get them to this knowledgeable lady to help me, UGLY, DAMAGED, ROTTING SHELLS, BAD TEMPERED - NO WORRIES, GOT HEAPS OF TANKS AND GEAR TO SET UP REHABILITATION FACILITIES

• 4 weeks later...

HI

It's good to see that some one takes on sick ore not nice turtles people bring theme to oure store somtimes and now I can tel theme about you so they can go to a great home where they been lookt after in the proper way.

keep up the great work

scalare

GOT ANOTHER ONE, don't know what age but he is a really big male that is so laid back he must be on something, eats like a horse, has shell rot and in some places you can see the bone, quite happy though and is the only one I have that does not want to eat me hehehehehehe. A NOTE FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW:-

THIS TURTLE CANNOT RE-RIGHT HIMSELF AFTER BEING TURNED UPSIDE DOWN, normally an easy thing to do for a red ear, but this one is so out of condition he just lies on his back and of course would not be good for him to be left like that. He actually goes to sleep lying upside down but I suspect he is rather crook when that happens, this problem apparently can only be solved by lots of feeding and excise, He is underweight for his size and apparently quite weak, healthy in all other respects apart from the shell rot. Perhaps the indication he is weak is that he look like he is on Prozack he is so slow at present, getting better slowly though, cheers

The local turtle rescue lady did a great job saving my turtle that had been attacked by a dog, cost her heaps, and was one of the worst damaged ones to survive. His/Her( hard to tell because of the damage), name is Star because it will be on TV on one of the SPCA programmes later in the year, Now very defensive and I think anything that moves probably resembles a dog !!!! so tends to back into a corner to protect the rear end, coming right though. Very dark shell so is considered to be reasonably old, maybe around 20yrs

You would be amazed at how fast these wee red ears can go, a fit one would cross a room in say 15-20 seconds or less, put your finger in front of the mouth of a bad tempered one and see if you are quick enough to remove your finger while it is still in one bit !!!! hehehehehe I think it is tortoises that are slow

Good on you Greame. What some people do to other animals???? i would like to do to them. Going fishing with Dad will be different next time. I don't think they will just get left in the bucket to die. Have always been one to return small unwanted fish but since taking fish keeping up i see them in a completely different ligth.

• 2 weeks later...