how to cook fish !!!!!

Graeme Holden

Result - maybe dinner? :lol: I've heard that raising the temp is a cure for ich. Who knows -

how long have you had the heater for? (is it a glass submersible auto type?) I'll be keeping an eye on mine - Was considering setting up some type of an alarm for the temperature as it really could go unnoticed for some time. Havn't really got a clue yet about how i would do it tho

Saw a digital thermometer at Lyns place with an alarm, tank and room temps and an alarm if temp dropped above or below "tropical" and "discus" settings. Real nice, would be keen to get some to keep this from happening to me.

You can wire in a thermostat on its own to the heater stat.

This is set about 5 to 10 degrees above your normal.

But when you see the light working you know your insurance has paid off,

and you can get to and fix the faulty heater/stat.

Alan 104

Saw a digital thermometer at Lyns place with an alarm, tank and room temps and an alarm if temp dropped above or below "tropical" and "discus" settings. Real nice, would be keen to get some to keep this from happening to me.

Used to be able to get those from dick smith. They're great, but not anymore.:( I've been looking for replacements for them since mine keep getting knocked into tanks or drowned...Been considering ordering a wireless one from the US.;)

Seen some floating thermostats that are wired (eventually) to the heaters at our club meeting this month - thats what i need - but I'm no sparky so i wimped out - I'm gonna have to find out how to do it - should be easy only two wires i think - these had a light socket fitting as well which really threw me. :oops: I reckon your right alan thats the way to go - then I can have 2 heaters that come on simultaneously. Plus an alarm job as well to be extra safe.

The thermostat is not another "heater"

It is only another heat-controller, that backs up the thermostat in with the heater.

Hence the name heater-stat.

The points on the stat alone, stay closed all the time, UNLESS the main H/S control fails.

I could explain how it is wired, but as this could be a no -no for those that don't know how to handle eletricity I won't.

Take your gear to a sparky and he'll have the job done in less than 5 minutes.

Alan 104

www.jaycar.co.nz.

Part # XC0224

A handy, versatile & low cost thermometer module that can be panel mounted or simply held in place with the suction cap provided. It features a minimum and maximum temperature memory and hi/lo alarmfunctions. Features include: 45mm long probe on a 900mm long cable, °C or °F, Alarm beep, Low battery indicator, - 50°C to +150°C range, G3 battery included.Measures 60(W) x 34(H) x 14(D)mm

$44.50

Hope that helps :)

bit expensive but if I take into accout the cost of all the fish in the main tank, it would be money well spent, not realistic in the mountain minnow tank as I could replace them a few times over for that cost, (even though they were part of a swap) but thanks again, I have dealt with that firm before and found their stuff to be quite good, P.S. the fish so far are doing fine and do not seem to have suffered any ill effects so far but of course it is early days and I will be keeping an eye on them for a while. INCIDENTALLY - I only realy noticed the problem because in about 1960 or so I went to a fish clum meeting in Timaru (yes a mainlander) and one of the speakers there reckoned that each tank should be looked at closely at least once a day for symptoms of easily spotted disease like white spot, and I have done that ever since (when ever I have had fish), so that advice was quite oportune

Thanks for all the advice and I guess it is a little known problem that could affect others with disastrous results in some tanks of very expensive or rare fish

Result - maybe dinner? :lol: I've heard that raising the temp is a cure for ich. Who knows -

Raising the temp just shortens the Ich parasite's life cycle, so it goes out into the water more often and can be killed by medications. Raising the temperature alone won't kill it.