Hello from Dunedin

Mav007

Hi all. Wish I'd found this site 2 months ago!!! I am currently nearing the end of designing my new house within which we are installing a 5ft tank. Been all over the web gathering info and now find all and more is right here. Absolutely fantastic. Since reading through a few threads I have decided to change a few details of my setup design. However, one thing I haven't been able to decide upon is lighting. The setup will look something like this (Tropical Freshwater):

5ft X 20in X 20in Main Tank

30in X 20in X 20in Sump Tank for trickle filter

2 X 300W heaters (1 in sump and 1 in main)

1200 l/hour return pump with jets along length of tank surface and to bottom at opposite end to overflow

Up to 2 Bala sharks

2-6 Rainbows

12-20 Neon Tetra's (Not sure on these as I think they prefer lower PH)

4-6 Dwarf Sucker Catfish

Plants

Vallisneria Spiralis

Java Fern

Anubias Barteri

Tank and sump will be installed within a wall cavity with access from the back. Have done a bit of reading but I'm sure I've missed something. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site. I suggest you also join the Dunedin Aquarium Club as several of their members have experience with tanks as big, and bigger, than yours. Talk to Denise at The Pet Warehouse, as she was the president last I heard and they have their meetings there.

For lighting I would suggest 4 x 5ft fluorescents. I use bright white or daylight tubes in mine but you can also add the fancy spectrums.

How lucky to be building the tank into the house! Make sure you have left height at the back to access the tank from above with nets as the handles stick up and get stuck.

Hi Mav007,

Welcome to the forums. My tank is the same height and width as yours just not as long, 40x20x20 , and on that I have 4 x 30 watt flouros, 3x Phillips 6500k daylight bulbs and 1 x Gro Lux all purchased from an electrical wholesaler for about $8 each. My plants are all growing well, except the foreground plants which are surviving but not thriving as they need more light.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Jude (hehehe),

Actually I have pre planned for multiple tanks and have a 3.6 X 2.4m concrete block walled room downstairs set aside. I'm including a floor drain in the slab and as well a seperate power circut for the room (Will also have the hall light on this circut to warn me if it blows a fuse).

Matt, Cheers for the info. Sounds pretty much like what I should use.

catch multiple tank syndrome? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Jude, I have been scratching my head wondering what everyone was referring to by MTS ... Now I Know :roll:

And welcome Mav, just new here myself. Your project sounds amazing, I hope you get around to posting some pics.

Regards

Linda

and a welcome from me too. What a luxury set up. I love our largest tank but access is a right pain in the butt and definitely would make me think if I was setting up another one.

I am really thick about filtration and sumps and such, so am always interested to hear how others get on. As for lighting I have replaced some tubes with 'normal' ones of the same strength but the light is more white/yellow than white/blue....and I find the plants don't like it much (or perhaps it is the brown algae type stuff that likes it and smothers the plants....it is almost like a coating of rubber on the plants. I did buy a 'proper' light for one of the smaller tanks, and although it is rather gloomy in that tank, it does seem much more user friendly for both the plants and the fish.

Sounds great to me and I love the sound of your fishroom. You will really benefit from the time you have spent planning out what you need in it. Maybe you could ask for suggestions in the DIY section from those with fishrooms about what they wish they had done in theirs............. just a thought

Good luck, I look forward to hearing progress reports

Cheers

Jude

12-20 Neon Tetra's (Not sure on these as I think they prefer lower PH)

I have neons and my pH runs from 7.2 and 7.6. What I have read on the net so far though indicates they prefer 7. But those with more experience will tell you more.

• 1 month later...
Hey Jude (hehehe),

Actually I have pre planned for multiple tanks and have a 3.6 X 2.4m concrete block walled room downstairs set aside. I'm including a floor drain in the slab and as well a seperate power circut for the room (Will also have the hall light on this circut to warn me if it blows a fuse).

Wow!!... Wow!!... Sounds fantastic!! The drain is an excellent idea! Would love that luxury, but we're renting.

How's the project coming along? Love to see some pics.

Cheers,

Vapo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...