Anyone here from Nelson?

I'm from Blenheim which is an hour and a half from Nelson. Nelson itself does not have a fish club as it went into recess a number of years ago. They have 2 pet shops that I know of and quite a few fish keepers. It is a beautiful region and is officially the sunniest city in NZ (Blenheim is the sunniest town). It has a beautiful beach.

I'd ignore Bruce if I were you :smile:

The South Island is the place to be. There is nothing to beat it in the north. Nelson's beach is much better than Napier's.

The FNZAS conference is in Napier this year so I had better be careful or they might do something nasty to me when I attend (or they might not even send an invitation!). 2003 conference will be in Blenheim though so I will be able to get my own back.

I must admit, if I HAD to live in the north island, the Napier region is where I would chose I think.

Caryl

(I normally ignore men, on the quiet! Seems sensible!!! :lol:)

No offence Bruce :wink:

I think I have my heart set on either Nelson area or Marlborough area. I think the weather would suit me better there!

I hear there are volcanos there too (are they just on North Island?)

If you want to look at it from a purely fishy point of view: Napier has the National Aquarium. As far as purchasing tropical fish, it seems that Auckland is the place to be (unfortunately). Why unfortunately you ask - because no-one in their right mind wants to live in Auckland (too full of Aucklanders).

Yes other places have the same access to the fish available, it's just that the Auckland shops, catering to a larger market get more of any one type of fish (when you're trying to find a pair of something a bit more pricey this is an advantage - the smaller shops may get only one or two in which makes finding a pair more difficult).

I do have to defend Napier here I think, As Rob has pointed out we do have The National Aquarium here, Opens Next Week

Check out the link below

http://www.nationalaquarium.co.nz/about/aquarium.htm

Napier does have the biggest Aquarium membership in NZ, Beat That Auckland

On top of that we have the 2nd Sunniest climate (behind Nelson)though I find that hard to believe as every time I have been there its raining and cold :smile:

Caryl, I am sure you will get your invitation to the conference sometime soon, we will even try to put on some sunshine for you

Who Else Will be coming to the Conference this year?

Cheers

/Bruce

All the active volcanoes are in the North Island. Bruce is right, they have a wonderful aquarium there and I look forward to seeing it. Rob is right too that from a fishy point of view they have more range up north. Considering 3/4 of NZ'ers live in Auckland it is not surprising.

For overall lifestyle and easy living (plus Marlborough is the biggest wine producing area in the country) Nelson/Marlborough beats Napier :smile:

Once conference is over Bruce, Grant and I plan to holiday another week up around Bay of Plenty.

See you at conference!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I thought I'd put in my 1 cent worth. Caryl, you should have your conference info by now. Look forward to seeing you.

That aside, Hawkes Bay is my pick of the places to live in NZ. I have travelled to most parts of New Zealand and spent significant time in most areas. It is always nice to come back to Napier for some good old consistant sunshine. It is good in other places as well, but seems to be more settled in Napier. My next pick would probably be Bay of Plenty (even though it rains a lot) but it is not because of the weather.

• 1 year later...

nelson-just adding my two cents i live in nelson and it is far better then hawkes bay my grandparents live there a few points

1.nelson/south island has volcaneos just our ones are mostly extinct nelson even has one on it's side!

2.rob is 100% right auckland has too many aucklanders

3.as far as fish goes auckland is the best but nelson is good too you can get things from wellington blenhiem chirstchuch westport if you ask on trademe.co.nz for a certain fish you can normally get them to nelson and they aren't badly priced

4.nelson has better beachs!!

I was offered a job transfer last week but turned it down as we would never be able to afford to live there! Good job but not enough to ever buy a house down there. I was born in Nelson so would have loved to go 'home'. However the north aint too bad. The locals are quite friendly! :lol:

I think no matter where people live it is ok otherwise why would they live there? Nowhere is that far from anywhere. If the best fish are in Auckland well that is a good excuse to go for a drive.

Christchurch have some amazing shops to and I would love to be able to 'drive' there and get a Zebra Pleco! :o So good and bad points both sides of the ditch.

Be grateful ... we could be in Australia!!! (West Island) :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...

I grew up in Nelson. I can't think of many places in NZ I havn't been. Nelson is top, hence the reason its about the most expensive place in NZ to live. Price dictates 'quatliy of life' to a degree. e.g. compare Nelson to Taranaki...

My 2 cents.

• 7 months later...

Hi

As a newbie and wrinkly from Nelson I see all the banter from Blenheim.

Dont bother about there....Nelson's the place to be.

We are always interested in new folks here; and as a "Fish Enthusiast" you're doubly welcome, as the club went into recess as interest was lost, so we need more people with push to get it together again.

I was a member years ago and was also on the committee.

Hi there fellow wrinkly :D

It would be good to see a club start up again in Nelson. I know there are interested people. Let me know if I can help. It would be nice for us to have another club within visiting distance.

Hi all

Canterbury Aquarium Society like a lot of others in the country have lost their way.

I was involved with Canterbury as far back as 1976 I think when they held a "Fish Show". I was a Nelson member. (I even cleaned up the Open Section prizes)

and made a lot of good friends on the way; one of whom is the Patron of Canterbury.

But since then all clubs are missing out on members to the point of going into recess or vanishing completely.

So dont bemoan the "Norwesters" get a membership drive going and value what you have.