Guppy deaths

Lucid

right, I am starting to tear my hair out over these deaths.

Can Anyonme lease help!!! :evil:

uss wondering, has anyone else had a spate of Guppies dying? It seems all the new ones that I have bought, (well not all, but some) of the new guppies I have bought recently from the LFS, are dying off again.. Seems strange that its not the ones I already have, seems only to be the new ones. They are not from the same LFS either.

Anyone got any Ideas why this could be happening?

Everything seems fine, (as in the fish do NOT look sick, and they eat well) but I am losing neons, and my rummynoses as well too.. Have dosed the tank wif Blue, and will keep an eye on them

the tank is constantly losing fish, some drop off over night after looking fine the night before and some have the tails literally disappear, and all that is left ids the stringy bits which support the tail.

Have spoken to Animates as they had the tank in quarinteen that we got the fish from, and they have said the same about the fish dropping off over night. This explains the fish we got from them, but doesn't explain the guppies dieing that we already had or the tetra's we lost aswell

The above statements were posted by mystic and i at www.poecilia.net.nz and i have copied and pasted as i am feeling lazy tonight.

B & M

Animates at Wellington went from 100+ guppies to like less than 20 in a matter of days and they don't even know what's wrong. I decided not to get guppies from there if that was their rate of death. Sorry I can't help, but if the same thing's happening to the pet store, maybe it isn't your fault.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi im from wellington too

iv had 2 of my nice new females that i got from lower hutt pet shop

die, but all my old ones that i started with (cept one really old female)

are fine then again it could be somethin from lower hutt ;o

all my fry and younglings are fine too

so im not quite sure about it ;/

I live in Auckland and have had 78 guppies die since Tuesday, bought 5 from LFS on last Sat & Sun morn 1 had died, got a replacement and then the fun started, 4 new ones still alive and some where around 100 old ones still alive, clown loaches, GBA, swords & an otocinclus are all fine so it's limited to guppies, all i can think of is some have a resistance to "it" (whatever it is) dosing with Melafix but not sure if thats helping or if the ones left are resistant or just healthier.

Basically no idea and hoping they stop dying soon.

I hope the blue works for you Ballistic and hope the losses stop.

:(

I know i will only be buying any new guppies (when they stop dying) from private sellers as i've never had a problem with them, only ones from LFS, i need another tank so i can have my quarantine tank back. Seems some fish are just carriers and not effected by it so not sure if quarantine will help, but it can't hurt.

I did see it thanks Bill, unfortunately it happened after we lost most of ours.

We now have 5 guppies from the original stock, they are in a tank by themselves, downstairs in the fishroom, I thought about the water parameters swinging Stu, but it should of affected others in the tank before it affected the guppies, and the thing that stumped us the most was the fact that the "flesh" was rotting for want of a better term, from in between the sinewy bits in the tail.

Thanks for all your help guys, but we have learnt our lesson and will purchase off private Breeders only from now on.

B