HELLO, what a wonderful site

peanuts

Hi, am relativly new to fish tank setups. My husband and I had a tank years ago, but sold the lot when the kids starting arriving. but I hated not being able to sit there at night watching them swim around.

We where fortunate to get another tank 450mm square and 1000mm tall supplied complete, including some fish, this setup was up and running for over a year had added fish with no problems then saw some pearl gouramis and had to have them. put 4 in and they settled in well.

then I found more on trade me and brought 8 from Ira, a week later the whole system crashed, the small fish died (neons and platies) one day with the gourami and pleco dieing overnight, broke my heart. not to mention friends(?) wanting to know exactly what happenen.

I was lucky to have one friend who has an uncle who is into fish in a HUGE way living around the corner who advised what I should do to cleanse the tank and start cycling again. to date I have

2 black widows

4 serpae

2 scissortails

4 platies

and I have just won a keyhole gourami from trade me - pick up this weekend

but I would really like some guppies (prefer colours other than orange) and some more of Ira's gouramis. and of course some bottom dwellers.

So thank you very much to Paul, and this site for providing some valuable information. anyone wanting to help out with some fish at reasonable prices give me a holler.

in the meantime I will continue to read the site while watching my fish swim. - very relaxing. cheers Karen

Hi Peanuts, and welcome to the fishroom. Its a great site with loads of info and heaps of awesome people willing to help. There is also a great chatroom that usually kicks off at around 9pm most nights. Join in, its always good for a laugh!

Hi peanuts, and welcome.

I take from your discription of your tank that it is a rather deep tank.

1000mm deep?

Does that make it look like a brick standing on end as I visualise it from your discription??

If I am correct, your tank IMO would have been overstocked, having only a surface area of 450mm square.

If my assumption is wrong, please ignore most of the above.

Alan 104

Hi peanuts...welcome!

I'm new to the aquarium hobby. I would be sooooooo lost if it wasn't for the folks here. As you probably know by now, they are great here...always eager to help and have tankfulls..hehe... of knowledge!

Take care!