B/N get stuck?

misnoma

So... I have had a male bristlenose for a few weeks now, and after his initial few days sulking I would see him at least once a day out and about, and food/courgette would disappear quite happily.

Niloc came over the other evening to pick up some baby(ish) cons that were in the same tank, and to catch em we had to move the driftwood around somewhat (quick wee buggers they are :) ). We discovered the back half of the male b/n sticking out of a drilled hole in the bogwood, and even as we lifted it out of the water he just didn't want to come out of there :/ So we left the wood in the tank, moving it a few times to get the cons out, and have carefully replaced it so as not to crush the poor guy.

Now I understand he'll be stressed about now, and occasionally I walk past and see his tail move, but that's all I've seen :( just this tail sticking out of a hole which moves very occasionally.

Is it possible he's gotten stuck in there? Obviously I'm not all that keen to grab him by the tail and drag him kicking and screaming out of there if he's just being a fraidy cat and chilling.

ummm.. yes... he is stuck

I had the same problem with one of my BN... had a plastic bolt fall into the tank and the bn swam into it but couldn't get out.. had red welts on its body so I just picked him up and yanked him out. he was ok swam away rather fast but red welts have healed really well.

I'd be very careful if I was you, getting him out. He will almost certainly extend his odontodes (the spiky things around his gill plate), and these will wedge him in tighter, and make it almost impossible to get him out undamaged. Pleco's like to wedge theselves into tight place's (and it's normal for them to stay in them when you take what they are hiding on out of the water), and more often than not get themselves out. I would leave him a few more days to make sure that its not just his hide out.

Can you check after the lights have been out for a couple of hours, or in the early morning to see if he is coming out?

Cheers, CatBrat.

My male B/Nose won't come out of his helicopter, i can take it out and there is no way he will come out but he's out eating at night.

It's the one ornament i cant remove from the tank.

I've found that he takes off when there is a light on or torch shined into the tank so now use the video camera set on 0lux to see him in the dark.

I got home tonight, and he was further out than I've seen him before, far enough imo that he could have gotten himself out... of course he disappeared straight back in there when I looked over heh..

have left a couple of wafers out and turned the lights off early... I'm unstressed about not seeing him, just want to make sure he's happy

The other possibilty is also that he may be fanning eggs in there, depending on howtight the gap is, specially if he is reluctant to leave the whole.

My male and femaleb/n's don't even look at each other and neither of them have ever crammed into a tiny we hole.

B

• 2 weeks later...

Hrm.. well he's still in there, has been over a week now, and he just got to ride in his driftwood from the old tank to the new 430L tank... when I picked up the driftwood carefully before moving it he was nearly half out of the hole (I could see his widest part easily) and he didn't seem stuck, in fact he was still moving, so carefully moved the driftwood to the new tank.

Hopefully one of these days he'll sort himself out hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Probably they are the ones that got away from him, i usually get that with the GBA, they are usually hatched for 5-6 days before he lets them venture out, be weary if you have any other fish in the same tank as i found small swordtails pecking at the fry. Good luck with the fry :D