my new tank thread

Brianemone

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing wrong with cheap dude (from the monetary sense of the word) so long as you have quality or effect. a classic example is the seio's, while they are inexpensive, they produce the right effect. deltec skimmers are another example, obviously having both quality and effect :D

a classic example is the seio's, while they are inexpensive, they produce the right effect

If catching on fire and exploding or melting is the effect you want :)

Good luck Brian, and congrats on the house. Take it nice and slow, garanteed to work out in your favor.

Pie

Exploding vocano tanks rock! hehehehe.

The Seio will be fine, I had just read a couple of threads on the older ones by chance the other day.

When do you move into the new house? How big a tank do you hope to setup?

Pie

:( , no more house. I had to withdraw the offer on the house because there was some water damage in one of the walls and the roofs in one of the rooms. So its back to the drawing board.

I had a great plan too.

wait who needs walls anyway, dont they just get in the way of having bigger fish tanks???

Well i've decided to go ahead and make a slightly larger tank regardless of where i live.

its not going to be the 6- 8 foot i was planning but still bigger.

dimensions i have in mind are about 700 long and 700 deep and 700 tall

when i get home i measure the space and come up with more appropriate specs (im making it as big as the space will allow and the front door :D )

i'm in the process of sourceing the "starboard" and the decorative ply for the cabinet

heres a few options

80x80x50 total of 80 gallons 320 litres

80x80x60 total of 96 gallons or 384 litres

90x80x50 total of 90 gallons or 360 litres

90x80x60 total of 108 gallons or 432 litres

or taller???

90 is about the max length i can manage and 80 deep is the most i can manage with out claires complete dissaproval

obviously big is good but i also want the tank to look good

whats everyones opinions??

turns out i can only make it 70 front to back (the cabinet wont fit in the door other wise)

800 is quite tall, id need 400w Mh for that wouldnt i?

How about having the cabinet made in "kit form" ?? Im thinking about that myself. Then you can build it up inside the room.

I got around the cabinet not fitting by using a crane and bringing it through a window. However Brian, if you still thinking of moving wouldn't you be better of waiting until you find a house? I mean shame to buy a new tank etc then have to go through the hastle of moving it, then find out it doesn't fit the spot in the new house or looks silly.

Just some thoughts.

Piez

yeah the final dimensions can wait as all the other bits i can get now and then do the tank and cabinet last

its probably going to take a while to get all the plumbing bits i need a ball valve here a ball valve there

but it all depends on how long it takes for us to find a house and get things sorted out, as we've decided to save a bit more and get a house that needa a little bit less work (ie costs more)