Poll: You own a reef tank.... Do you scuba dive?

RnB

Used to do a number of years back.

Deepest dive was 150 feet at the Sugar Loaf off the Poor Nights.

Nursery Cove at the Poor Nights is a great place for the beginner to view some fantastic NZ fishlife.

Main interests were in Wreck diving and underwater caves :)

Goat Island is also a great spot to learn, with heaps to see and explore.

So what places have you all dived..?

Bill.

Keen diver. Have dived through NZ, the pacific, Indo, Malay & Thai. Hope to add Palau & Bourneo to the list in the next 12 months. May head back to Fiji in 2 months if things pan out.

Best diving, hard to pick it: Poor knights (particulary any of the arches) on the north westen end, Tioman/Tekek in Malay, Vanuatu (Lovo).

Pie

keen diver, dived red sea, caribbean (cuba and mexico), tonga, fiji, vanuatu, maldives, english channel (very good), thailand, cooks and nz of course. all great places and very very different! liked tonga (vava'u and vanuatu the best).

have been trying to copy a similar setup ever since (i.e. no rubble of rocks or wall).

temp in the red sea of hurghada was f......g freezing at 19 degrees and that was at the surface :o

love wreck diving, done 40 dives on a single wreck in vava'u alone always amased by all the corals that grow in very little light, like bubble or goniopora. :hail:

Cookie - the English Channel was good? Really? whereabouts? I LIVED there untill a year ago and could only sever see a metre in front of me (despite having a Euro BLUE FLAG beach !! lol).

I dont dive, have always wanted to. Would like to do a course and become an instructor. A mate of mine was all for emigrating to Oz to learn (he was already an accomplished diver), but then he found love....

POOR SOD ! LOL

Can any of you regular divers recommend somewhere good to learn that is inexpensive ? Do you need any of your own stuff?

i did a course at splash gordon in island bay, they are a padi outfit...i did 4 dives there and a couple in fiji,+ i hope to do a bit more when i start earning enough lol...

as for cost...i cant remember what it was for me, cos my parents paid at the time...

oh... and yes i do have a marine tank if you count local coldwater :wink:

but will soon be going tropical **yay!!!!** :D:D:D

Newt

Newtman - local coldwater is DEFINITELY marine. And good for you because they can be hard to keep. Do you use a chiller? Im guessing you must ? How about showing us some piccies and telling us all about it. (Maybe on a separate thread so we dont hijack this one aye).

Love Diving :D:D:D:D

Best Places..... All the warm ones where you dont need a wetsuit :o

Vanuatu... Pauls Rock, Moso Caves probably the best out of the lot for me

W Samoa... Dive Site called "The Fish Market" heaps of turtles, VERY large fish, great drift dive

did I mention 27 degree water temp :bow:

Hawkes Bay, well just about evey dive is a night dive :evil: , but if you get a good day you cant beat it.

/Bruce

Bruce - I've dived the Moso Caves and Pauls Rock. Both stunning dives in their own right. Not every day you get to dive through a larva tube

Too right, We did 10 dives with Tranquility Island Dive, but those 2 would be top of the list, another one I enjoyed was Lionfish gardens... Just for the Lionfish it was worth it.

/Bruce

Funny... but before I learned to dive I was scared to death of what was lurking beneath the waves, but you get to a point where they can drop you out of sight of land with no probs (once you get used to it)

People always ask... "Oooo.. arn't you afraid of sharks..? "

In around 20yrs of diving I would say I've only seen around four.

No fear whatsoever of deep dark caves... but hey... I'm not too keen on night diving.

We were in the B.O. Islands doing a bit of cave diving and grabbing a few crays on the way.

There were five of us, and one guy was engrossed in digging this cray from one of the crevises on a rock face.

Suddenly a three metre shark came around, and four of us hit the deck and layed still.. but this guy continued his quest for the cray he had spotted.

The shark went up behind him and thumped his shoulder... but the guy thought it was one of us, so he thrashed out with his elbow and hit the shark on the nose.

It swam off... did a small circle... then returned to repeat what it had done.

We could do nothing.. but stayed grouped together as we watched.

Three times the shark violently nudged this guys shoulder... and three times it swam off after "getting the elbow" ... then eventually it swam off and disappeared.

Moments later the guy turned around clutching this huge packhorse and headed up for the boat. We followed, and told him the story.

He turned drip white and collapsed on the floor of the boat and was STILL shaking after we made land an hour later.

On another dive for a Preservation Society we lifted an old eighty foot Scow off the bottom of....

another story :)

Come on guys... this is interesting.

Bruce - I have some great photos of Lionfish gardens, with Lionfish hunting in packs. We've dived with Tranquility Island several times.

I've seen dozens of sharks, rays, eels & snakes. Its all good as far as I am concerned.

piesvanshark.jpg

Fiji - Maybee 12 sharks swimming around us.

Pie

yup i dive...most recent was the penguin pool at kelly tarltons while i was cleaning it up haha....also done goat island, poor knights, pemba reef (tanzania), fiji, mauritius and a large sector of the southwest coast of madagascar...