Marine Sump Tank Newbie

Jasmine

Hi guys,

I have owned many different setups in the past but never have had experience with sumps. Now I wish to have a sump setup on my 190 x 47 x 46 tank.It does have a glass overflow built onto the back (making the total width 60cm, only the tank itself is 47cm) but there are no holes drilled into it or anything. Is drilling a requirement for drain pipe or would there be some other way to get the water into the sump? I don't think I'd be confident with that, I'd probably pay someone to do it. Also what sort of media would be best for a tank which may have some easy corals (t5 lighting only)? Are baffles really needed?

I am an extreme newbie to sumps, and a bit paranoid that I'll do it all wrong and have flooding, so there'll probably be HEAPS of questions. We're in the process of designing a stand to be built for it, so want to get sump design sorted so I'll know what I'll need to alter with the stand also.

Thanks for any help!