Noisy New Fluval 306 PROBLEM!!!!

YamNato

Hi everyone, I am not sure if this is the correct category so apologies if it's not.

I have a problem, yesterday(Mon 16 May) I bought a Fluval 306. Cut a long story short, after much excitement and set up I start it up and it is NOISY. Its making a sound  that's hard to explain but it definitely does not sound right.
The sound its making is completely different to trapped air, its like a 'something lose' sound if I can explain it that way. I also have a very quiet house and I can sometimes hear it 10-15 meters away in my room. It gets quiet for periods of time but then when I put my ear closer to it I can hear its not right. There's knocking/ticking sound that my 206 definitely does not have. I took it back to my LFS, where I obviously bought it from, and the staff there agreed it was making a strange noise. Instead of giving me a new unit, which is what I would expect given I only bought it less than 24 hours ago, they replaced the impeller. That didn't work so they replaced the impeller housing cap and that didn't work either, so they replaced the main seal. It seemed to be quieter after that but not 100%, in my opinion anyway but I take the advice of the staff. 

Get home and set it all up, still sounds like it did after leaving the LFS. I turn on GOT and when the episode is finished the filter is making the same noise it did the first time. As mentioned above, I have a 206 and it is quiet and I haven't had any issues with it. I expected the 306 to have a louder hum compared to the 206 as it flows more ect. 
I can't make it into my LFS before Friday afternoon/Saturday, I'll call them tomorrow to notify them its doing it again and keep recording video of the noise periodically. 

My issue is this, even today, the first thing they said was it would need to be sent away if they can't fix it. If I'd had this filter for even a month and it started playing up I would say sure but after a day they want to send it away? I know suppliers set the deal when it comes to repairs etc, but I think this is ridiculous that a 'out of the box' defect should be sent away after a day. I've had a look and under the consumer guarantees act if there is a fault within 7 days the store is under obligation by law to refund me/give me another unit/give me another product of the same value and expectation of quality. Am I correct?

I love my LFS and the staff that work there so I WILL not name the store, and out of respect for them I don't want to walk in and sound like a dick quoting the consumers act. At the same time, I think its unfair for it to get sent away. Plus, what do I do for filtration while its away? 

PLEASE, what are your thoughts on this?
Again this sound is completely different to trapped air! 

try any of the following or all of them - 

make sure the motor is sitting straight

make sure the surface you have the filter sitting on is level and stable

check that the media baskets are sitting correctly, the media area is not over filled so that they stack tightly on each other 

turn down the water flow a little and then back up

see if any of that helps.

air can also create a knocking sound.

If the filter does have to go away the store may have one you can borrow from them.

try any of the following or all of them - 

make sure the motor is sitting straight

make sure the surface you have the filter sitting on is level and stable

check that the media baskets are sitting correctly, the media area is not over filled so that they stack tightly on each other 

turn down the water flow a little and then back up

see if any of that helps.

air can also create a knocking sound.

If the filter does have to go away the store may have one you can borrow from them.

Thanks, tried all of the above, so did the guys at the store. Will keep it running for several more days and see if the problem sorts itself. 

I have been in contact with the LFS over the last two days. They have come back and said the supplier will give me a replacement filter with no piping as the piping that came with the original filter I cut during the initial setup. OR if I buy replacement piping the LFS will let me chose another filter/brand. Overall I'm quite happy with that and think it has turned out fair. The staff member was incredibly helpful and the store has proved itself when it comes to customer service. 

Thanks to all that replied to the original thread.