Apistogramma macmasteri

fishyNZ

Nice work. What are you feeding the fry?

Thanks. Have not feed them yet but I have loads of decapsulated brine shrimp, as well as some frozen mysis shrimp.  

I failed miserably once doing the hatching (brine shrimp) thing and been too lazy to try again.

Got any other food suggestions?

I would start feeding them soon or they will all disappear...  I have had success with microworms and egg yolk mixture when free swimming. Small brineshrimp are probably best but I have never tried. I followed up with daphnia and newly hatched mosquito larvae when they were a little bigger.  I have successfully raised numerous species of Apisto's using the egg yolk and microworm procedure.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick update.

Most of the separated fry went to a good breeder.   It was a busy holiday period and I don't have properly setup fry/grow-out tanks at the moment.

Some were returned back to the parent's tank.  Actually it's within the same tank, just separated by plastic breeder boxes.  I used a larger plastic container and floated it when the fry got bigger.

A number of fry escaped being separated; they survived with their parents and other tankmates (black neons) unhindered.  Surprisingly (for me), they grew much faster than those separated.  

Here's a comparison:

apmac20160212a.thumb.jpg.971f107c01cc56a

Edited by fishyNZ

Wow that's really interesting, did you feed different food between the two? That might be the reason for the faster growth. 

First 2 weeks after separation, the fry were directly fed with bbs and mysis.  After that, I started giving slivers of repashy and eventually stopped/replaced the bbs.

As for the unhindered fry, I didn't fed them anything directly so they survived with bits and crumbs that their parents fed from (bloodworms and the same repashy). 

Perhaps due to the quantity of food that made the difference in growth.  Frequency of feeding are roughly the same (at least twice/day).

Edited by fishyNZ

• 3 months later...

fishyNZ  do you still have the Panduro's?  Any luck with them?

No luck unfortunately. Over several months I lost one by one to unexplained deaths, most with bent spines. The last three died recently due to an ich outbreak over several tanks; even with early detection and treatment.

Oh bugger... that can be the way with Apisto's sometimes. As I remember you got them when in pretty average condition... 

I still think the nicest Apisto's I have seen in NZ would have to be the Hongsloi. Jennifer Hamblin from Christchurch managed to breed some but lost most in the big quake. I managed to get a pair (1 male from Jennifer and a female from Auckland ) but the female was already in poor health and died soon after. Still waiting for the next shipment of Apisto's :(