Morning

Tea_Pot

Hey,

I'm Tamara, I live in wellington. I'm excited to be receiving a small tank in a few days time, though I have no idea how big or how many litres it's going to be (My mums friends daughter was getting rid of hers) so it's going to interesting in what I receive!

I've owned two tanks before, but I was a kid and I have the sneaky suspicion that dad looked after them more than I did haha though I felt like I did a lot with them. Dad owned a large tank starting with tropical and a few years later converting it into a marine, I think the highlight of the marine tank was when he got a Mandarin fish (still one of my favourite fish today). Remember staring for hours at the tanks, always excited to get a new plant or a fish, it was a father, daughter project really. Dad ended up becoming terminal with cancer when I was 13 and we had to give up the tanks. Getting a tank again for me all these years later is a small way to keep my dads memory alive, so it's a bit of a personal project this one.

Also I already have a question for any wellington folks, what are recommended pet stores in wellington for fish/plants?

Cheers,

Tamara

Good luck with the new tank. I also started years ago when dad had goldfish in a tank then built a pond. After I married my husband and I decided to get a tank then another then... you know how it goes.

Our kids got interested and one still has a tank today in his own house with his own son.

Remember the bigger the tank the easier it is to care for. Small tanks need more maintenance and if you have a problem it can cause trouble much more quickly and dramatically than a larger tank with more water volume.

Since you know it is a small tank, I assume it will be tropical, since we have few coldwater fish suitable for smaller tanks. Are you going fresh or marine?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tamara

tanks really do help us remember people and times we had in the past

the forum has heaps of information and there are many many good shops to visit in wellington, we have two local clubs in wellington also so if you want some face to face advice we are here

they are the Upper Hutt Aquarium Society and Kapi Mana Aquarium Society - information on both these clubs can be found on the local clubs page - just depends which one you are closer to really.

hope you find your way around on here :)

Maxine