Aquis 1000 pumping dirt back into tank

Sandy

Morning all

I did my first filter clean last weekend and Im guessing I messed up somewhere.  Ive noticed a gurgling noise every so often, which I assume, is air in the filter.  I can see bubbles coming from the outlet hose everytime this happens.  Unfortunately there is also dirt and muck coming out with the air.  Ive attached some wool to the outlet hose with a rubber band to catch the crap until I can figure out what step I missed or how Ive gone wrong.  Any ideas what I may or may not have done to cause this.

Just so you know - I removed the hoses, removed the lid and the media.  Washed the media in old tank water, put it back together, primed it and got it running.  Everything was great for about 24hrs and now this gurgling has started and the crap coming out with the air.  Oh and what do I need as media.  I have bioballs at the bottom of the filter then in the basket on top of that there is ceramic noodles and a black sponge and in the top basket there is a sponge and wool.  There were also a couple of bags of carb thrown ontop of the bioballs (I was given the tank and set up by a workmate and Im learning as I go).  Should they be there or somewhere else.  

Many thanks in advance.

Check you have all the hoses and fittings tight.  I have the 1200s, so I'm assuming it's basically the same.  Mine will start gurgling a little when they're clogged up, or the intake strainer is clogged.  I figure the fittings just being press fit start sucking a little from the suction due to a clogged intake strainer.

But, I'd also suggest pulling it apart again and make sure you reassembled it right.

Have taken it apart, removed the bags of carbon and put it back together again.  Seems to have done the job so far.  I havnt heard any air coming out for almost 24 hrs so heres hoping all is good.  Im thinking the carbon was way past its useable date and may have been what was causing the dirt coming thru the filter.  Im happy, fish are happy, lets see how long it lasts this time.  (it went 24hrs last week so Im half expecting it to start playing up again).  If it does I will look into getting new taps, hoses and seals.  Im not sure how old the filter is and I was given it a few months back.  Im sure it wont hurt if I give it some new fittings so then, at least, I will know when any maintenance is due.