Deformed Discus?

Manindernz

Hi every one new to this soo sorry if there's already topic but soon I'm picking up 5 Turqoise blue discus from trade me Listing #: 892507976 you can see the pics there my question is are they deformed? i mean they are not really round like plate... i sure some one can help me out

BIG THANKS in advance :bggrn:

They look like healthy fish to me.

They are not deformed but not exactly show discus either. A bit square and pointy but that could get better as they grow to adulthood.

5 for $200 is cheap at that size.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but I suppose you asked here to get honest feedback.

Tbh i was looking for wild discus but few things stoped me buying No1 Price No2 Hard to come by and No3 new to this soo i have decided to stick with domestic discus. And thank you so much for your honest feedback they be in home tank and since im new to this i have decided to buy older discus then juveniles becuz just incase i do something wee bit wrong...grown up be bit more forgiveing then baby discus... Last question 3rd week in to cycleing my tank still no way near can any body be kind enough to give me good bacteria from their filter form or something so i can boost up prosess i live in west auck and happy to pick up anywhere in auckland :)

Thanks a lot for reply :bow::hail:

First, Why on earth would you want your tank at 33 degrees to start with? 33 is too hot for all tropicals to consistently live in. Discus do well in temperatures between 28 -30 degrees (during the day the lights in the tank can easily heat it up to 32)

Secondly, have you calibrated your heaters? Eheim Jaegar need to be calibrated to the correct temperature.

Third, how big is your tank? Recommended is 1.5 watts per litre of water. Generally with two heaters one is a back up ie in my tank my jaegar heater is set to 30 degrees - my Aqua one which I use as a back up is set to 28.

Fourth, what are you using to measure your tank temperature? The most accurate thermometers are the glass ones which float inside the tank. Temperature strips on the outside of the tank tend to pick up the room temperature. Digital are not very accurate unless you are paying a lot for one and even then a glass back up is a good idea.

Hi

1st person where im picking up discus said his tank temp is 33 i thought something was wrong becuz it shud 28 to 30ishh

2nd i have been trying but jagers are pain in bum to calibrate try almost everything but still no luck

3rd tank is 200L

4th measureing with aqua one digital thermometer and normal hang on glass but shows same temp

Thanks for reply :)

You pull up the button on the top, put the jager heater/ thermostat in to water of a known temperature then when it has reached the temperature of the water you turn the dial to that temperature, then you push the button down again and set the temperature to the temperature that you want and put it in your aquarium. All of this is done with the heater not plugged in.

• 3 weeks later...
good morning sad day for me today my 2 beautiful discus died last night being nitrite too high now im worry other 3 will die too so please help me out test today nitrite today with api test its 5.0ppm other fish are gasping for air any help would be great ! thanks

Water changes.

And more water changes.

Your tank was not already cycled? It's generally advised not to put discus in anything but a well settled older tank, certainly not a new uncycled one.

hi thanks for super quick reply i made 50% wc yesterday and doing 50% doing now .. can i do 50% wc every morning.. ? i mean is it safe ..?

Yes it's safe but don't do more than 50% at a time and make sure water is same temp when going in and use a de-chlorinator.

i have done 50% water change and will be doing every day 50% till Nitrite comes down to 0ppm now is there anything else i can do? i heard little bit aquarium salt with water change helps ? is it true ? really anything i can do to bring nitrite down ? thanks for quick reply and wise advice :) totally worth joining here !! :hail:

i have done 50% water change and will be doing every day 50% till Nitrite comes down to 0ppm now is there anything else i can do? i heard little bit aquarium salt with water change helps ? is it true ? really anything i can do to bring nitrite down ? thanks for quick reply and wise advice :) totally worth joining here !! :hail:

Don't use salt with Discus!

good morning fishes made it.. ! :f77: all acting normal doing there thing. I test my water today everything is fairly down oh btw i have fixed gasping for air problem last night ! i read somewhere that if nitrite are way to high its thickens fish blood so there's less oxygen so i put biggest air pump i had and in 20mins fishes were doing much better ! :cofn: i went to fish shop yesterday so i can get some wise advice first they tried to sell me $100 worth of this and that and then last thing he told me that DO NOT DO WATER CHANGES because you will kill the good bacteria !! correct me good bacteria only stays on deco's and in canister filter not in water annnnyways thanks for help and yesterday asap water change made huge difference !! thanks for wise advise :hail:

i went to fish shop yesterday so i can get some wise advice first they tried to sell me $100 worth of this and that and then last thing he told me that DO NOT DO WATER CHANGES because you will kill the good bacteria

:sml1:

Some fish shops are absolute idiots and only care about selling you something. You are right about the bacteria.

You didn't set the temp at 33 did you? COs if you did that would also explain the lack of oxygen. For your discus do 28 degrees and keep doing frequent water changes until everything is stable. Then do regular water changes

Hi there when i bought them guy was keeping them on 33dig first week i matched the temp to 33 im bringing 1dig every week right now they are in 29 but on warm days it gets to 30 i think which is safe :) next question i have is .... after few 50% wc every thing is back o normal ammonia 0pp nitrite 0pp & nitrate 0ppm shoud i keep doing water changes everyday orr do once in 4day or something..? I have been testing water everyday just incase something happens i am ready to do immediate waterchang Thanks