why has my common bully changed color?

Crooky

Ok so I have 3 commons and 2 crays in a 270ltr tank. Unfortunately I found white spot on the bullys around 4-5mths ago. I treated this well I thought with salt. When the white spot went I started water changes to lower the salt level. Is it possible that one of my fish thinks that the brackish water means the ocean is near and its time to change? It used to be a nice river bed camo now its nearly black. It's the biggest bully I have and it now hides and darts out at times like its protecting its patch. So is it trying to breed or go to sea?

Although bullies are classified as Amphidiadromous they do not actually migrate to breed (Bit weird really :wink: ). After they hatch they are swept out to sea where they spend the first few months of their lives before heading upstream. Once they reach breeding age they start to exhibit breeding behavior during the breeding season, where females will start to produce eggs (become gravid) and males protect nesting sites (Usually under rocks and other objects). When a male bully is exhibiting nesting behaviour he will often change to a darker colour, he will return to normal after he finishes "nesting".

One of your bullies is likely a gravid female and you may get to witness some breeding behavior in the near future.

Hey that's cool. So I guess that means I have happy fish? I'm really new to natives. Cool little characters really. Ive just had a Cray survive a molt too. Should I add a calcium supplement to the water or just test the level first?

Thanks for your help

Hey that's cool. So I guess that means I have happy fish? I'm really new to natives. Cool little characters really. Ive just had a Cray survive a molt too. Should I add a calcium supplement to the water or just test the level first?

Thanks for your help

You should probably fine calcium wise if your pH is neutral or basic, crays will often consume their moults if they need the calcium. There wouldn't be any harm in putting a raw almond in the tank for them to eat (though remove after a few days). The bullies must be pretty happy - so good on you.

There's a few good guides on here about keeping crays happy, scroll down a bit on this thread - heres how I do it:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=68743