Input needed

Kiwironic

Hey guys,

I am new here, just done a hard core clean for my 4 years old fish tank, put some new plants, threw away some of the old ones and introduced some new fish too.

I have posted a video to Youtube to show it off. Would appreciate if you take a look at it and let me know if you have any comments or ideas to make it better.

Here is the video:

Cheers,

Mena

I really like it. Is that gravel 'fruit salad'?

Thanks Adrienne, it took a long time to clean and re prepare. I kept the filter solid media in the old tank water to keep the bacteria alive. It's working fine as expected no NO2 nor NO3 :happy1:

I don't know about the gravel, I got it from Animates some years ago.

Nice,what is your stocking?

• 1 * Bristlenose Pleco, 3 years old, she will need a new home soon as she's growing bigger than the tank capacity.
  • 4 * Bronze Corydoras
  • 5 * Kuhli loach
  • 6 * Glowlight Tetra (not sure, might be some other tetra)
  • 2 * Betta Female
  • 1 * Betta Male
  • 1 * Guppy female

Some Java ferns or anibus one the drift wood and decor would look good as well as a ground cover e.g. Glossostigma

They look really good, and I like where this is going. Two questions, knowing that it's only 70L tank, would you still consider them? and, most importantly, where to get them from? :bggrn:

Yep I'll try to get some off trademe.

As for the fighter male, he is chasing the guppy and nipping her especially around feeding time, but she's hardy and can take it, the tank has plenty of hiding places which I put in mind when getting the male and the females together. The guppy is great though and she does tricks like following my finger on glass and swimming fast to the surface when tapping on the glass twice (trained with food association).

The bigger female is actually bigger than him and she chases him around (believe it or not) she shows a great deal of interest in him but he's giving her the cold fin :bggrn: anyway, I wonder how would that go on. I am keeping an eye on them.

Cheers guys

Regarding the glosso -

1. It won't remain planted in your tank as it requires a very fine substrate. The roots on each plant are tiny, just a few mm long.

2. It requires intense lighting and a steady source of CO2 to keep it growing. In other words it is a plant that is high maintenance.

Regarding the glosso -

1. It won't remain planted in your tank as it requires a very fine substrate. The roots on each plant are tiny, just a few mm long.

2. It requires intense lighting and a steady source of CO2 to keep it growing. In other words it is a plant that is high maintenance.

This agrees with what I found online. The CO2 isn't an issue really but the lighting is, and the last thing I want to do is to add some plants to die in my tank.

Do you know of anything else that does the same job (to create a nice green carpet on top of the gravel) and is lower maintenance?

I have healthy Glosso in a very shadey part of my mini pond and I've had it in large gravel you just have to weigh it down at frist I've also had about three male fighters and they've always gotten along with the females I pair them with

I have healthy Glosso in a very shadey part of my mini pond and I've had it in large gravel you just have to weigh it down at frist I've also had about three male fighters and they've always gotten along with the females I pair them with

I just don't want to take chances. I light up my tank with a normal house high wattage power saving screw bulb, everything is healthy though. I also have some snails, got rid of most of them during the cleaning process, but still have some, and don't want to give them more food than needed. Dead plants are their favorite food.

Dwarf sagittaria can make for a good carpeting low-light tank :)

Also another +1 as a little warning against female and male siamese fighters in the same tank - I've seen them turn and almost kill a female overnight. She was pretty much near death - there was only 1 male and 2 females in the tank, a well planted/decorated 220L (with a big footprint) :(

Dwarf sagittaria can make for a good carpeting low-light tank :)

Also another +1 as a little warning against female and male siamese fighters in the same tank - I've seen them turn and almost kill a female overnight. She was pretty much near death - there was only 1 male and 2 females in the tank, a well planted/decorated 220L (with a big footprint) :(

Hmmm, I have to rethink this and keep a good eye on them. The male usually sleeps down below and the big female sleeps near the surface and the small one goes under the driftwood overnight.

I have healthy Glosso in a very shady part of my mini pond and I've had it in large gravel you just have to weigh it down at frist I've also had about three male fighters and they've always gotten along with the females I pair them with

Can I please see a photo of it so I know what type of glosso it is?