Corys in Taupo

Benjansss

I've gotta agree, with the only evidence being the memories of an 8 year old kid...By far the most likely is that it was bullhead catfish or some kind of native bullies rather than a tropical fish surviving and breeding in large numbers well outside its normal comfort range.

Quite likely a bullhead or similar - if you ever see something like that in the future which doesn't belong it's important to photograph it and report it to DOC. It's unlikely to be cories simply because of how cold it gets here unless they were just recently dumped during a summer or something.

Quite likely a bullhead or similar - if you ever see something like that in the future which doesn't belong it's important to photograph it and report it to DOC. It's unlikely to be cories simply because of how cold it gets here unless they were just recently dumped during a summer or something.

Cories are possible, in my early days of fish keeping I took a petshops "advice", apparently they are "pond fish" and can live in cold water (I lived in the otaki gorge in kapiti so it got quite cold) I started with five and had three left after 2 years. They were never very active and never grew. But I doubt there would be large numbers in lake taupo (maybe a couple of released fish) but they need warm water to breed and I doubt anyone would dump 20-30 (sorry :nilly: ) Cories.