Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Clearview 300 Filter

Featured Replies

Hi all,

My tank has a clearview 300 filter and I'm a little confused with it. It seems like most other similar designed filters have both the carbon cartridge and then some other form of media like a sponge etc to provide surface area for the bacteria. This particular filter only has the carbon cartridge, and then another plastic bit with a 3D pattern on (on left in below photo) which slides in front of the carbon filter.

DSC_7078.jpg

Is that plastic design instead of a sponge, and if so is it effective enough or should I look at adding something else?

Thanks!

  • Author

Thanks for the link :) Looking at that one the setup seems to be a bit different to mine. Where that one has a sponge, mine has the plastic insert. Looking at photos of the filters I think I can make out the sponge in the H100 model, and the plastic in the H300 (my) model... so guessing the plastic in the H300 must be instead of a sponge? It just doesn't seem like the plastic grid would help to develop a good bacterial population as well as a sponge or those noodle things

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the plastic bit you're talking about is just a strainer. Not a filter in anything more than the coarsest mechanical filtration sense.

When I was using AquaClear filters (same sort of thing as the Clearview) I would remove all except the sponge and add some ceramic noodles.

  • Author

Thanks guys :)

Will try to get an overhead photo tonight so you can see how the two bits fit in. I don't think there would be any room for added media as is, but maybe as you suggested Caryl I could remove the plastic bio-grid and add some noodles where a sponge normally goes in the other versions.

Is it correct that the water flows from the tank, through the carbon filter first, then the media (sponge, noodles, plastic grid) and back into the tank?

  • Author

And another quick newbie question..

How often should I be changing the carbon filter? Every 4-6 weeks seems to be common, but wanted to check.

Is there actually carbon in it? If so change it when it looks full of gunk as it won't work any more. Most people only have carbon to remove medications.

  • Author

Ok, so I've removed the carbon cartridge and the plastic bit, which I've learnt was for the bacteria to breed on, but not a particularly effective form of media. Got some Aqua One Bionoods to put in the filter instead.

I'm guessing now I've changed media, my bacteria population is going to have to recuperate again and I'm almost back to the start with my cycling?

I rinsed the carbon cartridge and plastic bit in some tank water with the noodles sitting in and rubbed the ceramic noodles over the media in the hope of at least picking up some of the bacteria.

Also, do I need a sponge as well for mechanical filtration, or is it ok with just the bionoods? If so I'm not sure where to put a sponge, there isn't much room there! Maybe I should keep the carbon cartridge in and that can be the mechanical filtration (it's wool covered so picks up a lot of crap), then the bionoods where the plastic bit went for the bacteria?

You are correct about the cycling stage of the tank now you have replaced some media, it will have been knocked back. If you want to put some sort of sponge in take a look in the likes of HFF (if you are in Auckland) or your local LFS. There are packs of cut your own size sponges/carbon type sponges out there - this sort of thing, in various types of sponge which you might be able to slot into your filter.

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... 6cm/m/947/

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... 6cm/m/947/

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... ads/m/947/

etc etc

  • Author

Thanks Adrienne! That looks like a much more cost-effective way than buying the specific carbon cartridges, which are nearly the same price for one.

Would you recommend a zeolite one for a new tank to help with ammonia?

None of the sponges will directly help with ammonia, as in reduce it immediately. All they do is 1. collect the waste from the water and stop it returning to the tank 2. provide a surface for the 'good' bacteria to collect on hence assisting with the cycling of the tank.

Water changes are the best way to remove ammonia + reducing feeding and keeping the stocking of the tank light until the full cycle is complete.

You can get the standard sponges that you cut to size also, I just didn't scroll through all of HFF stock list. I use them in my 980 - saves me heaps.

  • Author

Went and got the sponge and tried it in my filter, but unfortunately due to the design it blocked the water flow when the noodles were added as they pushed it right up against the back.

Seems to be working well with the solid carbon filter piece which also has wool on, and the noodles in replace of the plastic biogrid. The carbon piece keeps the noodles where they are supposed to be and water flow is good, so will just replace that every few weeks as needed.

  • Author

Modification Success! :happy2:

I cut off the wool lining from the carbon cartridge and took the carbon pieces out so it's just a thin bit of plastic to use as a divider.

Now I've got a single layer of noodles along the bottom, then standing vertically in order of water flow I have a piece of sponge, the plastic sheet and then noodles.

Means I can easily replace the cheap sponge when needed without having issues disturbing the noodles :)

Back - showing bottom layer of noodles and sponge.

1982320_10153035093451354_454346433861276273_n.jpg?oh=405790953263a22cf9feb60fae2b85dc&oe=555F04CE

Front - noodle set-up (could only fit one layer deep so thought it was better to alternate direction to help agitate water flow?)

10905987_10153035093331354_4951068345442710596_n.jpg?oh=e7107f14df91e2be7a9253cf7ddd625e&oe=556A4A47&__gda__=1428839992_4769f016c120617a7cec3d79803478b3

Top - water travels from left to right, then forward through the sponge, plastic sheet, noodles and back into the tank

10933987_10153035093381354_4388086911126523171_n.jpg?oh=c9e9b41ad466e03b42ad2af7cfab3484&oe=556847E3&__gda__=1428548230_b44b24b448eb05aad07ddb85c6ef41b9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.