Apistogramma

danval

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm not sure whether my Trifasciata fry are still around :nilly: About 5 days in of them being free swimming, she's decided to get anxy and won't let them come back out. She's still coloured up and protecting something, so am treating them as though they're still there. Haven't changed any variables - she was placing them all up the foam wall before, happy to be out and about when I'm there, and suddenly she's all nervy. Haven't even put the siphon in her bay :(

Though I was testing having the male in there too (heaps of moss and hiding places) - he doesn't seem to have made any moves against the fry, but obviously that could be a factor.

But yeah - hadn't tried spawning them again since I last talked to you - so this is the first try as of late. About 10 days in, now.

Redwood used to do I think $60 a pair for Trifasciata - shipping made them more expensive than getting them here in Auckland, but it seemed like a decent deal (Y)

Good luck with them Alex. The last time I spoke to Debbie at Redwoods she did say it was unlikely they would be importing any Apisto's so maybe the Trifasciata were locally bred? And vwboy77, shipping does make it expensive. Can be good if there are a few people wanting fish from the same store then you can share shipping costs :D

I am setting up to breed some apistos, at the moment I got these:

A.agassizii

Got free-swimming fry last April but then suddenly they all disappeared. My bad for not separating them.

A.trifasciata

My last remaining pair (out of 3) seemed to have breeding behaviour, so far nothing came out of it.

A.sp "Steel blue" / Wagenflecken

Were sold as "viejita", got several pairs, still waiting for an outcome.

A.cacatuiodes

Acquired several individuals/pairs, some as recent as this morning.

Nice work aldrichdg

Where are you getting your stock from?

thanks.

mainly, hollywood's; some from rodney's.

got some female cockatoos off a lady down south (advertised over trademe), quite young though.

yes, shipping is a big pain (in the pocket).

• 2 weeks later...

Alex. Some Apisto mothers are just bad. If she in constantly eating the fry I would try and remove her as soon as the fry become free swimming. I have had some success doing this in the past.

Ooh, really? I might consider that - she's usually spending a good amount of time looking after them - this lot have been free swimming for a few days, so I might consider it (I am assuming they died due to her eating them and not environmental/feeding - it's hard to tell). She readily comes out for food when I'm near, so catching her is a piece of cake.