Pale fish

kiwiraka

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this but,

I know that the albino allele is recessive to the normal allele, and all the basic things like a genotype of Aa and AA means a normal animal and aa means an albino. But does a carrier Aa show any signs of albinism?

I have about 8 post whitebait, one is a banded kokopu, 5 are inanga and two are yet to be identified. The two unidentified fish look the same except one is brown like the rest of the post whitebait fish but one is a very pale cream with a blueish tint.

Different colour, carrier of albinism or just a late colour developer?

thanks.

Hi, I'm no expert on natives, but I do know genetics. A carrier (aka split) of albino usually shows no visual signs of this, but there are a lot of other genetic possibilities for a visual reduction in colour in other animals, and in fish as well.

There are known genes for various forms of partial albinism (some of which are sex-linked rather than straight recessive) which could give you a paler coloured fish, as well as genes which alter or remove, to varying degrees, the non-melanin colours eg reds etc. Some genes have almost identical visual effects but are transmitted differently. Then there are environmental influences as well. It's a minefield!

Really no way to know what you have until it matures, and then, if it stays an unusual colour, you get offspring from it. Good luck with it, hopefully you will have something new & different.

The shortjaw that I've seen were quite pale compared to banded and koaro

That would be cool, what are some early differences between koaro and shortjaw? Or do I just have to wait until they start taking on their adult body shape? Also they've been quite slow growing compared to the inanga and banded....

You asked for a photo so you get..... Whatever you'd call this.... 20141104_161411_zps33e8815f.jpg

Terrible quality.....

Anyway, the photo makes it look a little bit darker and doesn't really show the blue tint (it doesn't really show the fish..... )

Having a close look at the fish it seems to have a slightly undercut jaw, definately shorter than the inanga and banded....

• 2 weeks later...

Now that they are (a little bit) bigger they have almost exactly the same body shape as this http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/3672 galaxias brevipinnis.

Do koaro have the same body shape as their Aussie cousins?

So anyway, just picture that fish only really pale blue (and tiny) and that's what I have, ID anyone?

Now that they are (a little bit) bigger they have almost exactly the same body shape as this http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/3672 galaxias brevipinnis.

Do koaro have the same body shape as their Aussie cousins?

So anyway, just picture that fish only really pale blue (and tiny) and that's what I have, ID anyone?

Yes the shape is the same, the colour is a little different but not much.