Suspected White Spot on Bully

Silverdollarboy2

I use rock salt, table salt has some sort of anti-clumping chemical.

If you're worried about the anti-caking agent just check the label, it should tell you. Most common(I believe) is 551 which is Silicon dioxide. Which, if that's going to hurt fish they're in BIG trouble...

I use one of two special salts,. Either bulk rock salt from Bin Inn or 2kg bags of table salt from any supermarket. As Ira said the anti caking agent is usually Silicon dioxide - the only issue I can see with this is it may cause diatomes.

As for the rate anything upto 8g per L (ppt) will be ok unless there is a koura in there. If there is one then I found mine didn't like salt above about 4 ppt. Dissolve it in hot water and then add it in thirds over the next 24 hours. Adding salt is hard on the osmotic pressure of the fish so take it slowly when adding it. You will need to keep the salt above 2 or 3 ppt for at least 3 weeks, this is atleast 1 week after the last spots.

I think its 2 teaspoons (someone else can confirm) add it gradually though to minimise stress to the fish.

Btw it doesnt matter which one you use.

I hate teaspoons as a measure for medication, but that sounds about right. If I remember correctly 2 teaspoons is about 5g of salt - less if you are using corse rock salt

When you do a water change measure how much water is removed and make sure to add back in the right amount of salt

Your bully should surive just fine

Stella who is a natives expert posted this in 2010 - What I recommend for this is salt at 1tsp (6g) per litre. Keep doing lots of waterchanges and replace the salt removed each time. It may take a while to clear up (expect a couple of weeks)..

Now there is one thing that I need to check you know with regards to water changing when there is salt in the water. If you don't understand show this to dad.

Water evaporates but salt does not so when you water change you can only add salt for the amount of water you are replacing so you need to measure the amount of water you are taking out. Then you need to top the rest of the tank back up with freshwater. Otherwise the amount of salt will become too strong for the fish to handle.