Glass width for 1381 ltr tank

Josh1984

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

250x80x60 10mm glass gives a safety factor of 2.3, which isn't bad but not great either. 12mm would be over 3 which is much better. If it were me I'd go 650 total height and 12mm glass, water level somewhere around 620-630, safety factor closer to 3. Shouldn't be too big a difference in price based on my past experiences, depending on where you source glass.

Where do you live? If its in one of the quake zones you definitely want thicker and stronger.

Good point. Personally I'd still be happy with 12mm and no higher than 650mm, but you wouldn't want to skimp on the bracing! And make sure the stand is dead level, diagonally braced and very rigid...

Iv got a 2450x700x700 in 10mm glass been running for 2 or 3 years it doesn't rate very well on the safety calculator but hasn't broken yet touch wood. I brought it from a guy in wellington if i was to build it myself i would have used 12mm glass just for piece of mind. I built my stand out of 50mm box section and is very solid. if you brace the tank well and make the stand very tough and level it is do able.