How much is a betta tank worth?

Fish Frenzy

Hello everyone

Buying a betta and tank soon, just wandering if the price the seller was asking for was ok? I don't know much about the prices for bettas as I have never had one, I know here in NZ they are very expensive though. The breeder is asking for $100 for a brand new betta tank (not sure of size will update later on) with ehater, filter, gravel, food, water conditioner, plus a siamese fighter male. That's $100 for all that. I think it is a good price, but I don't know the size of the tank. A 28L nano brand new is $99 on Trademe without gravel and accessories so I think this is a bargain. He does sell his fighters for very cheap, this breeder, around $10 for a male and $8 for females. Prices can range up to $49 at HFF!

Do you guys have any experience with buying a betta tank?

thanks!

:happy2:

For equipment, prices all depend on the brand/type/age/size etc etc. Without knowing the specifics, a price can't really be put on it.

As for actual fighters, most store prices are crazy. Best place in Auckland is New Pupuke (the owner is a fighter breeder himself, not just an importer), and $49 for a fighter at HFF is cheaper than most I've seen from there! I've seen over $99 and over multiple times.

Other places for bang-for-your-buck is the Siamese Fighters New Zealand facebook page. Most of the breeders country-wide are on there, and they're always selling gorgeous fish for great prices.

$100...You might be able to beat that shopping around, but it doesn't sound like a bad price if you take into account not having to buy individual bits. And I'm guessing you probably don't have a good idea what you want/need already.

I got my 9 litre betta tank with filter/heater/light and substrate second hand for $60 on the SFNZ facebook group. Similarly, I got both my bettas from there; one hm x male for $10, one white hmpk dumbo male for $20, from 2 different breeders. Both would go for far more in HFF or other places. Seems like a reasonable price, depending on the quality of the betta :) If I were you, I would head down to the SFNZ facebook group as well, even if you buy this betta and tank, they still have great info in the 'documents' section about flare training bettas, the colours, breeding standards, etc. which is very interesting, and are usually more than well equipped to answer any 'betta queries' :)

I got my 9 litre betta tank with filter/heater/light and substrate second hand for $60 on the SFNZ facebook group. Similarly, I got both my bettas from there; one hm x male for $10, one white hmpk dumbo male for $20, from 2 different breeders. Both would go for far more in HFF or other places. Seems like a reasonable price, depending on the quality of the betta :) If I were you, I would head down to the SFNZ Facebook group as well, even if you buy this betta and tank, they still have great info in the 'documents' section about flare training bettas, the colours, breeding standards, etc. which is very interesting, and are usually more than well equipped to answer any 'betta queries' :)

I'm also exceptionally well equipped to answer betta queries but I don't belong to the SFNZ group. :) Feel free to ask away on here.

• 2 weeks later...

15 litres is fine for a single betta. If the betta is long finned i.e. long tail, use a low flow internal filter. Sponge filters are the best as they don't push out too much current, causing the betta to waste needless energy trying to hold itself upright against the current, and the pull of the powerhead won't cause it to get sucked in. Pop in a plant or two - artificial or real- avoid sharp edged plastic ones to prevent tail and fin tears. Similarly if you are going to put in gravel find one with rounder rather than sharper edges. For a tank that size maintenance is easier if you have a bare bottomed tank - makes sucking up waste quick and painless.

What a tank is worth is relative to how many people want it and how much to pay. Livingarts comment 'as long as you are happy with it' is spot on.