North Shore Turtle Rescue Auckland is still running ...

ruby11

Probably the same reasons most animals need rescuing. Being kept in unsuitable conditions... Owner suddenly realises they don't want / can't have them anymore... Randomly found outside abandoned... The list is as long as the imagination.

That's awesome that you're doing this, Ruby! Keep being amazing, :thup:

yes i do realise some are amphibians . A lot of people simply don't want them anymore or they are sick. Just got given two red ears with set up the other day and one is very sick. Two water dragons - the owners tank broke and blue tongues are due to come in end of month where the people don't want them anymore and are in auckland and cannot sell them.

They come into the rescue all shapes and sizes i have had rescue axolotls with no gills and limbs missing too, even tropical fish the elderly owner was going to flush.

They come in for all sorts of reasons

It is part of my job to be a "responsible pet seller", and it is the pet owner to be a "responsible pet owner". If only it was all this easy! Every Turtle we sell goes with one of my books, 'Keeping Freshwater Turtles Successfully in NZ (2014 revised edition), so the Turtle Owner gets the correct information for their care (I can't enforce pet owners to read this unfortunately). We only sell Turtles to the Pet Stores, this way it is up to the store seller to determine if the customer is going to be a responsible pet owner, as it is with all pets they sell. This doesn't always work as many 'want to be owners' lie about equipment they don't have, their huge tanks that are only 2 ft long, etc. and this will always happen. But at least our Turtles aren't sold on an online site where we have no idea what the future will be for the Turtle. We field many emails daily on Turtle care, problems etc, and have re-homed plenty over the years, including flying Turtles from other Turtle re-homing facilities to be re-homed. The National Aquarium of NZ (also here in Napier) take in and re-home Turtles if the owner has no other option. It was only two weeks ago I uplifted some Turtles from there to be re-homed. The biggest problem with Turtle owners is the change in life style where the Turtle no longer fits. This happens with all animals unfortunately. But please don't assume we just breed and it stops there with us. I have had people around the country collect and forward Turtles to me and I have also driven long distances to collect and re-home unwanted Turtles and will continue to do so. It's just what I do. So yes there is a Turtle Re-homing service provided here in Hawkes Bay, but as we are well known in this part of the country, I don't need to shout it from the roof tops.

Chris Burne

Hot House Turtles Limited

• 3 weeks later...