Couriers - in retrospect!

Adrienne

For years I have used Post Haste Couriers (in fact ever since NZ Couriers refused to carry fish). Until two weeks ago there has never been an issue and I am talking hundreds of packages.

Last week Auckland lost a package being delivered to me (Corals).

Yesterday Auckland lost a package I was sending to Dunedin (Plants attached to driftwood so not bagged with water).

At this stage they still have no idea where my parcel, and a whole lot of others which were supposed to be going to Dunedin has gone. I have been chasing around all day, being asked to phone Dunedin branch etc, when it turns out it is probably somewhere in the North Island.

I am not getting into a discussion on the forums about it but if you use Post Haste, do what I should have done last evening - check that its actually on its way the day you deliver it to the courier and first thing in the morning the following day. If I had chased it up earlier - before 9am then perhaps by now I would know where it was.

Track and trace is not quite the service people think (or as good). Your parcel is scanned as pick up when given to the courier, scanned on board by the courier at the receiving end and scanned as delivered by the same courier. It is not scanned when removed from the van, it is not scanned into a container and it is not scanned when re sorted at the hub. Once you have given it to the courier it is not tracked until on boarded by the driver who puts it into the receiver's hand as delivered.

I've had similar trouble lately. Finally got a package that was sent 3 months ago. Going from Dunedin to Nelson, ended up in Auckland somehow in a courier's van. Took a long time to find it. It was scanned in Dunedin then nothing. A grand worth of electrical equipment I wasn't giving up on and kept ringing them every week to make sure it was found. I didn't want to make a claim and be paid for the items lost, I wanted my package or someone else would have ended up with some free stuff!