Bully treatment

kiwiraka

Today I was doing a water change and as usual all of the bullies came to see what was happening.

I noticed one of them has a VERY big belly and appears to be full of eggs (yay) also she has 6 dorsal rays, giant?

Also I noticed she has a small white sort of wart like growth on her tail, I had a look at the other bullies and a couple of them have the same sort of growth on their pectoral fins.

I don't know if any of the other fish have them because they are still hiding after the water change.

So what I want to know is what you guys would say it is (I doubt that it is whitespot doesn't quite look like it to my untrained eyes) and what you would recommend as treatment (maybe salt, but how much?)

I also have kokopu inanga and crays, incase they're sensitive to anything.

Thanks

On the ray count - I have a common female that has 6 rays, well I assume she isn't a giant as she is from 150+ km inland

Wild bullies often have these lesions, two of mine do. You could treat with salt, won't hurt anything native although I would limit the salt to no more than about 6g per L (2 teaspoons/L) with a koura in there. maybe start at just 2g/L

I don't know, Ive seen some pretty small male commons try and entice a female into a nest site.

Sexing: males have a slightly darker patterning on the body and their dorsal fin is tipped with a cream to orange band (sometime not very noticeable)

have a read of this thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=58471&hilit=bully+id

20140907_164659_zpsd0d11586.jpg

Thanks for that I might have two females and two (fat) males.

The one on the right is the pregnant female and the other is a male?

I hope the image works.... This is my first time posting a picture...

Please excuse the blurry picture none of the cameras get along with the computer so its phone quality...

I'm guessing the picture worked :happy2:

Her stomach had a pinkish tinge to it earlier and now it's gone a definite yellow colour.

Yeah sorry it's a pretty bad photo, you can't see it very well but the one on the left is quite a few shades darker than the one on the right.

Also another bully has a cream body but over half of it is covered in black patterning, would you guess male or female?

thanks,

Well this morning the female bully has been spawning..... But the boy (in the photo above) decided that the eggs looked tasty..... She's still going and it looks like there are a good 100ish eggs that haven't re-entered a bully.

Anyone else with spawning bullys this year yet?

Well this morning the female bully has been spawning..... But the boy (in the photo above) decided that the eggs looked tasty..... She's still going and it looks like there are a good 100ish eggs that haven't re-entered a bully.

Anyone else with spawning bullys this year yet?

At least 2, not seen the nests though and the torrent fish do a good job in cleaning the nests out

Sadly dad bully isn't much of a dad so the eggs have been abandoned for the last couple of days, and the snails have been into them so there aren't that many left...

I think I'll probably set up my little 30 litre, do young bullys have a higher temperature tolerance than the adults?

I was thinking of setting it up in a sunny spot to increase algae growth and adding the little black bugs I have In the ponds (also an id of these would be nice, they're like little black seeds, daphnia size but have a really smooth swimming pattern).... I don't have much experience in raising fish from eggs (I don't think raising goldfish in ponds counts...) so anymore tips would be appreciated.