sick fish :(

Dory1

Hello All,

I am a Newbie to the page and in need of some help.

About 6 month ago, my wee grandson and I got 3 goldfish and a 17 Ltr tank. We hand been going on ok, until one of the fish got a bit of white fluffy stuff on its tail. Went to fish shop for advice was given salt and and a little bottle of Malachite Green. I mixed it to the instructions, but didn't really notice a big difference, so I went back to the shop and explained my problem and was told my tank is too clean, and need to feed them more, given a bag of the same mix already to tip into the tank. We are a couple of weeks down the track, and now one of my fish looks like it's bleeding. I get my water from the shop that has been put through a big filtering system. I feel sorry for these dam fish, but I don't know what to do. I suck the stones with the siphon thing every 2 days, about 1ltr out and one in to replace it and do a overall clean once a month.

If anyone could help or has experienced this, I would love your input. My grandson just loves the fish, so would be great to get past this lack of knowledge! !

please add your location to your profile it can help people know where you are.

you should be able to do water changes from the tap at home, just let water sit for a day if needed

you will need to add salt each time you remove water, which could be 15% twice weekly

over feeding can up the ammonia in the tank and cause problems for the fish, water changes will help

I must point out that 17L is way too small for 3 goldfish. They are big waste producers.

Telling you your tank is too clean so causing those symptoms is ridiculous!

It would be interesting to get the aquarium water tested for ammonia and nitrites.

Welcome

Anything under 70 litres isn't suitable for common goldfish.buy a test kit to to see if there is any ammonia or nitrates in the water.If there's any more than 0ppm for either of them your tank is not ready for fish.Fish that would be suit your tank would be Siamese fighting fish.You shouldn't do overall cleans as this kills the biofilter.

Hi again,

This all started with a fish bowl, and now to a 17 Ltr tank that has a light, bubbles and a filter.

The fish were wee babies when I got them, they are about 2 inches long each.

I have done a water change as advised in a comment above.

I went back to the shop today and he gave me a fluro colour mix to add to the water, he said it would help them.

I realize the tank is small, I was told smaller tanks can be harder to balance. But I am not ready to spend the big bucks yet.

Thankyou for your help. I would put up a photo, but I can't see the option here.

A friend is going to test my water tomorrow

I'm not sure what it is he said it would sooth the fish from what they are ailing.

It's neon yellow/green. Couple of drops with water mixed.

I did a water change then put this stuff in as directed.

This is getting so much more complicated than the fish we kept at school!! :(

This is getting so much more complicated than the fish we kept at school!! :(

Lol. We used to keep Guppies and fighters in big jars on the fridge for warmth when i was a youngster.

Water changes and feeding minimal amounts will keep the toxins down, a gravel vacumn once a week will help too but don't dig too deep into the gravel.

As the fish grow you will need to upsize the tank or swap fish for smaller ones.