Albino Guppies

HummingBird

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know who here keeps albino guppies. I've got a male and a female and three babies that came with a tank I bought. I know Eon was line breeding some totally awesome looking ones and then his male died (so I gave him one that I had, my female was being bullied on anyways). So speak up if you've got any. Pics would be great, cause IMO albino guppies look better than normal ones (body-wise, that is, obviously fin/lower body colours vary).

I have a female albino guppy. I have to say she is the sickliest sulkiest wee fish. I consider her to be a true albino although sometimes she takes on a yellowy colour. she has red eyes, and her tail is slightly yellowish although sometimes it can look quite blue. I will try and get a pic sometime...I thought she was lovely when I got her but would like some 'normal' guppies now. Haven't been very successful with breeding from her...although it is not from lack of attempts from our handsome male guppy (not albino). She was preggers at one stage.....we had her in the breeding thingy but felt she had been there for too long so let her out....next time we looked she was skinny and no sign of any fry.....bugger.

She spends a lot of time sulking on the bottom of the tank....and her tail has had a rough time from fin nippers also. Fish seem to sense when another fish is not prepared to stand up for itself and she hasn't been particularly happy. I may shift her to the 'new' tank with her boyfriend once it has cycled.

Hmmmm I wonder how albino guppies would go with Black Tux guppies :P

I have currently saved 4 babies from my first drop of fry. I can't wait to see what sort of colours they will have. If they are the same as the rest that are in there (all black tux) then I will look at getting a trio of different coloured ones. I have now come to the conclusion that black and white ain't always the most interesting coloured fish. Although my big male guppy looks absolutly brilliant when the light is on and he is swimming about. His tail will shimmer with deep blue and green, almost like a peacock tail feathers. While the whiter area shimers with a lovely metallic silver/blue with a strip of orange above the eye. Very pretty boy. :P

• 7 months later...

I have managed to get myself an albino male. But I got a funny feeling I won't be able to breed him as he has absolutly no interest in the females that are with him. I soo hope that he isn't infertile!!

I tried to take a heap of pictures of him but unfortunatly he came up soo bright that he looks like a blur!

I have found a pic that almost looks identical to him apart from my ones tail isn't that big yet but this shows you what colour he has. Now and then he will look more golden/yellow in his lower half.

http://www.tropicalfishintl.com/images/ ... d-male.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the female that had fry in the albino tank seems to have my hopes up. Instead of a very dark pregnancy spot its a very light pink colour. She had fry about 2 weeks ago so heres hoping for some new albino guppies :D Or at least a step closer. I got my new tank today which will be divided to hold the half blacks and albinos.

Can't wait

WOO HOO I shall let you know how things go. I am hoping over the next fortnight to get them into their big tank and with a nice proper light so I can see better but I do have my fingers crossed :D I will keep the fry in that tank so they don't get mixed with others as there could be a chance that they are carrying the albino gene and once I can seperate female from males I will take all males out that have black eyes but keep all females in there. Will let you know in a few weeks :D

YEEEE HAWWWW

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

lol that was going to be my next question. What would you pay for a trio of guppies that are albino and are being bred with just their kind in the tank?

It was just luck of the draw that I managed to get this guppy from the LFS at all as I went in there and spent our milk and bread money hehehe oh well :P :bounce:

I suppose I'd be paying about $40 incl courier for a trio in this instance. If it was a local breeder it would be more like $20, I suppose. Personally, I haven't paid more than $2 for a guppy in the past but as long as it helps PJ and encourages her to breed them seriously...

Like a few other people around here, I don't mind paying a fair penny for fish from (or getting good deals for) other members, 'specially if it's an investment.

Eventually I am hoping to get a good amount of albino females so I can hook them up with a snakeskin and hope for some albino snakeskins but that is a little while off in the making lol

I am hoping to get serious with my guppy breeding. I would love to breed some more solid half blacks and hope to get some nice blues out of it as well. I don't know if I will give away my first lot of albinos as it would be better for me to keep them to increase my numbers but maybe the next lot I could start handing out :D

You are right and there is more than one way to be right. They are just not right for me. What is an albino snakeskin? I thought albino was a recessive gene so if you breed an albino to a snake skin you will get all snakeskins split to albino and if you breed them to each other you will get 25% albino,25% snakeskin and 50% snakeskin split to albino. Surely an albino is an albino and requires 2 recessive genes.

I hope someone will correct me if I have it wrong but I would cross an albino with the best shaped fish I had and breed back to pick up the albino again. That way you should have a good chance of having a well shaped albino and introduce new genes into the strain and make it better looking and stronger.

img_0410.jpg

img_0479.jpg

two of my male albino guppies (not the strongest looking but have potential i think). dont have an albino female for them...but luckily, i have many virgin golden female ready for them. i thought they are infertile at first but saw the male start chasing the virgins female today, who knows, i might have 25% chance. :wink:

btw i am seeking albino female, if anyone have them in christchurch area, i would be interested.

Don't know if this will work, but it is an excerpt from one of my spammers list that is sent to me.

You'll notice there is not much difference between the prices of "normal" and "albino" guppies.

Assorted guppy male Poecilia reticulata L $0.18

Assorted guppy male Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Assorted guppy femalePoecilia reticulata L $0.18

Assorted guppy femalePoecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Cobra Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Chile Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Golden Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Neon Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Blue Diamond Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Grass Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Scirssors Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Gold red Poecilia reticulata XL $0.21

Moscow Blue Poecilia reticulata XL $0.28

Assorted guppy male Poecilia reticulata L $0.28

Assorted guppy male Poecilia reticulata XL $0.32

Assorted guppy femalePoecilia reticulata L $0.28

Assorted guppy femalePoecilia reticulata XL $0.32

The ones in RED being the albinoes

This is just a small sample of what is out there.

We obviously get the bad end of the line when you consider that for the show type guppy you are paying from $3.50 to $16.00 per fish.

These are the hi and lo of the market with the average being about $4.50 an animal.

Just a little bit of info I thought some may be interested in.

Alan

NZKA 104